Default Yellowstone Advice

Wow! Lots of great advice on this board!

We're plotting out going from Chattanooga, TN to Yellowstone, our highlight of our trip.

Yellowstone - How long should we stay?

We're not the glance-around types of travellers. We went to Glacier NP years ago for a week. We stayed 3 nights on the west side, 4 nights on the east side. We ventured away from the park from there on 3 different days, but we enjoyed.

On this trip, we're planning to be gone 3 weeks, maybe a few days more, going thru South Dakota. I figure we will have no problem filling 3 weeks between here & there.

TIA,

Coffee Lover

Default A little research.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Yellowstone - How long should we stay?
    Only you can answer this question but you have a minimum of a week to 8 days driving there and back. Is your goal to do this as quickly as possible or do you intend on doing sight seeing on the way out and back ?

Somethings you will have the chance to visit on the way is, Badlands, Custer State park Mount Rushmore, Black hills etc and when there the Grand Tetons. You could create a loop and head home via the Colorado Rockies.

These are all things you will need to decide on and then we can help piece it together.

Your suggestions are exactly my plans. Go thru SD and see those places. Venture on to Yellowstone. Colorado is being saved for next year.

We like hiking. We want to explore Yellowstone in depth, not just whiz thru in a day or two. Would 5 days be about right? Or more like 4 or 7? For Yellowston proper.

Would the Tetons be more of a day trip from Yellowstone? It looks that way to me.

We plan to stop in St. Louis to see friends, Kansas City to see friends, (been both places for sightseeing in the past), then head up to SD. We plan to come back thru Nebraska, make a stop or 2 for places of interest, possibly see the same friends again, but move on from Nebraska back home.

We don't want to wish we had stayed at Yellowstone longer. It is the highlight place of our trip. We'd rather see it well than drive more hours to see the Grand Canyon, etc.

Thanks,

Coffee Lover
    Last edited by Coffee Lover; 01-12-2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: More info

Default Some links

Yellowstone is a place on my "to do" list next trip but from what I have seen you could spend the whole summer there in depth and still have things to do !

The NPS site and this Yellowstone site has lot's of useful info to help you decide how to spend your time untill someone with more first hand info comes along.

Would the Tetons be more of a day trip from Yellowstone? It looks that way to me.
    Yes, that's why I mentioned "when there".

AlSo use the search button and it will reveal lots of threads here on RTA.

Enjoy the planning !

Default Spend as long as you can

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Lover View Post
    We like hiking. We want to explore Yellowstone in depth, not just whiz thru in a day or two. Would 5 days be about right? Or more like 4 or 7? For Yellowston proper.
    It would be just about possible to whip round the main attractions of Yellowstone (Mammoth Hot Springs, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone Lake, Old Faithful, West Thumb) in a couple of days. Equally, you could spend a month there and still leave wishing you had more time.

My advice would be to allocate as many days as you can, particularly as you're into hiking. So 5 would be good, but 7 better. You won't regret it. And regarding the Tetons, yes, you could drive in and out in a day.

Peter

Thanks!

Love that Yellowstone site. It is the ticket for planning!

Coffee Lover