1. Default What are some reliable, consistent, accurate driving direction website(s)?

Hi,

I'm traveling from Maryland to Philadelphia on a weekday morning. I've used the same exact address for google maps, yahoo, randmcnally and gotten inconsistent results for driving directions.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?
    Can someone recommend a reliable and accurate website for driving directions?

Also, I want to avoid I-95 North because the time frame in which I plan on passing through is 6 am to 10 am, and I know traffic will be an issue. How can I avoid this? Or are there other alternative routes?

Any tips on traffic/websites would be much appreciated!

Default Drag and drop on Google.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Most will be accurate and reliable for directions but can offer different results as there is more than one way to any address. The main issue is the timing they give is not reliable as they don't allow for traffic congestion, road works and other things. [such as rest and filling up with gas on longer journeys.]

Have you discovered that with Google maps you can "drag and drop" the blue route line shown on the map to enable you to alter your route to find the best alternatives to the main route shown.

Here are some reviews from the RTA planning section.

Default unrealistic expectations?

When you say that the various programs are inconsistant - and imply that they are inaccurate - what exactly do you mean.

Do you mean that when you put those exact addresses in each program you get a different result each time, or do you mean that each program comes up with a different suggestion?

If its the second issue, I think you may simply have an unrealistic expectation that there is a universal "best" route for any journey. The fact is when you take into account the thousands of different roads, there's almost always going to be a few different possibilities that will all take roughly the same amount of time and miles.

As long as the starting and ending points are accurate (which can sometimes be an issue if the address is not perfectly straight forward) I've never seen any of the programs be inaccurate -as in providing a route that doesn't go from point a to point b, although they often don't pick the route that I would choose myself.

As with any computer program, you should be using it as a tool to help you plan your route - not as something to do all the work for you. Take into account what they suggest, and look at the map yourself, and come up with a route that will serve you best. If you want a computer print out, then use the drag and drop option offered by Google (and I think a couple of the others ones have picked up on that too).

Quote Originally Posted by February View Post
    Also, I want to avoid I-95 North because the time frame in which I plan on passing through is 6 am to 10 am, and I know traffic will be an issue. How can I avoid this?
    This is the very question I asked of a lady in an information centre, and for your information, I shall repeat her unforgettable response here:

Most of the traffic on the road at that time are locals who do this trip, if not daily, regularly. Do you think if there was a better way they would not take it?

Whatever made me think that I would know better than the locals?

Lifey who allows for rush hour traffic

Quote Originally Posted by February View Post
    Also, I want to avoid I-95 North because the time frame in which I plan on passing through is 6 am to 10 am, and I know traffic will be an issue. How can I avoid this? Or are there other alternative routes?
    When I lived in the Western suburbs of Philadelphia, I would take Route 1 to Rising Sun, MD as a way to avoid parts of 95 when going to Baltimore, DC or other points south. If you are coming from MD to PA, you could get off 275 (just past the Havre de Grace bridge), take that to 276 and then take that to Route 1 towards Philly. For me, I would get off Route 1 at 202 north towards King of Prussia.

You can take Route 1 all the way into Philadelphia, but it is not an interstate and becomes pretty congested so I'm not sure it would save time in the end.

Default AAA website

I am driving to Texas next week. I, like yourself, have been looking all over the net for good reliable driving directions. I am using two different ones for different reasons. I am using the AAA triptik online directions. It allows for you to adjust the route to see changes in time and distance instantly. It also automaticaly updates traffic and contruction zones. If it would show tolls, it would be my only choice. My other choice is on the gas buddy website. It does most of what the AAA website does but adds gas prices, which is a bonus. If you were to use only one, I'd go with the AAA one.

Gregg

I have had good luck using Google Maps when I've driven around the South and up north from Atlanta to D.C. You've probably already thought about this but you might want to consider purchasing a GPS unit as many are now availalbe for under $100 and they offer (usually) reliable and up to date maps as well as points-of-interest such as sites, lodging and restaurants.