1. Default NYC to LA Car Hire options

Hi everyone,

First just wanna say what a great site! midwest Mike and AZ Buck, you guys are so helpfull after reading through previous topics. Great work!

Ok we are 3 Australian guys organising a east-west road trip in March 2010 staring NYC and ending LA after approx 4weeks.

Dont really need advice on itineries, just going to make it up as we go but def heading to Miami and then at least through Vegas.

Just would like to know if anyone has hired a car before and dropped it off at another location? If so who do you recommend or which car hire companies should we stay away from?

Thanks in advance guys.

My friends names are Macca and Woldy.

-dd slasher

Default From one Aussie to another

Hi, and thanks for the complements. I would have to agree with you, we have some fantastic knowledgeable and helpful members on here. I too have been the grateful recipient of their help.

Quote Originally Posted by ddslasher View Post
    Just would like to know if anyone has hired a car before and dropped it off at another location? If so who do you recommend or which car hire companies should we stay away from?
    So long as you stick to the well know companies, you will be ok. Check out their sites and look for specials, sometimes you can pick up a good deal. You will be subject to a substantial one-way drop-off fee, and if any of the drivers are under 25, that too will add to the cost. This is virtually universal with all the major companies.

A few points, from my experience - check the mileage allowance. Sometimes a better deal turns out to be not so good when the excess mileage costs are added. Also check with your travel insurance company to see if it covers car rental, and exactly what it covers. That way you may be able to avoid paying insurance to the car rental company. Of course you have to produce evidence.

Furthermore, if you are a member of the RACV, NRMA, RACQ or any of the other states clubs, make sure you take your membership card with you. It will give you access to the tourist information at the AAA, and you will be able to get free maps of States and urban areas through which you plan to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by ddslasher View Post
    Dont really need advice on itineries, just going to make it up as we go but def heading to Miami and then at least through Vegas.
    Just the way I like to travel. Still, you won't lose much by checking out State by State and Higway by Highway lists on here (just can't locate them right now, someone will be along soon to point the way) to see what there is to see and do along the way. Just nothing worse than finding out later that you could have gone to something, or done something but you were not aware you were within a stone's throw of it.

Enjoy your trip.

Lifey in Melbourne

Default Knowledge is not a burden to carry.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Good advice from Lifey regarding car hire, and here are the links Lifey mentioned,
    Places just off Interstate and State places.

I also agree that "winging it" is great but so is being informed. Keep looking around and taking notes of places that might interest you, there is nothing worse than arriving in town and talking to the locals when one Say's "Did you stop and see the ....... .... on the way through". Even worse when it's a couple of hundred miles to late !

Enjoy the forums !

4. Default

Great links guys will deefinately check out each state before we head off. Thanks for the help! Champs!

5. Default

Hi - my first time on, but so far the info looks great! My husband and I are arriving into NYC by boat in May of this year. We are travelling from East to West with our little dog before picking up our son in law's RV for up to a year travelling around the US.

My question is this: Is there a way of finding a one way car to drive other than rental? We have a booking with Alamo, but its going to cost us over $900 for a week's journey. Seems a bit excessive. Any suggestions.

I once found a web page for drivers wanted, but can't find it now.

Thanks again to anyone who can help.

Default Quite some adventure !

You can find just about anything here at RTA by using the search function and a quick look took me to many threads and this page with drive away options.

Default not really

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There are driveaway services where you move a car for someone, the problem is you need to be going where the car needs to go, and thus that means having flexability. If you have two specific points that you need to get between, often times, it really won't work.

A one way drop off fee is quite standard on one way rentals, and for a cross country trip, its not uncommon at all for that fee to be a few hundred dollars. You can shop around a bit, but if you are just looking for a cheap way to get across the country, and you'll be picking up an RV on the west coast, it will likely be far cheaper to go by train, bus, or even plane, than any one way car rental.

Default Driveaway

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post

You can find just about anything here at RTA by using the search function and a quick look took me to many threads and this page with drive away options.
    Not sure how old those links are Dave, but the first one at least, is way, way out of date. Even in 2001 when I contacted most of those companies, I was invariably told that they no longer use casual drivers.

The only company who still uses casual drivers is Auto Driveaway (unless a new one has popped up recently). The Auto Driveaway car list link seems to be the only correct and valid link there.

Lifey who has done many driveaway cars