1. Default Mid-Atlantic Road-trip

Hi guys, I'm a foreign exchange student who will be in US with 3 of my friends in May/June for exchange. We'll be staying in NYC for 1mth for the exchange and are thinking of exploring the eastern US for about 2 wks after that. This means that we'll be starting/ending the trip in NYC.

I have no idea which sights we should be doing. We're first time visitors to the east coast, so everything is new to us.

Niagara falls, Washington DC, Philly are probably places that we might want to go. Food, nature and great culture are what we're looking for. Thanks for helping!

Default Good Area for What You Want

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you're interested in scenery, history, and culture, you could hardly do better than the mid-Atlantic region you're going to be exploring. I have previously laid out some of the best places to visit on the northern leg of your drive, so here are some places worth considering on the southern portion. A drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway is a must, as are visits to Shenandoah National Park and the quaint town of Lexington, VA. Crossing central Virginia would take you through Charlottesville where a visit to Thomas Jefferson's home would be in order. Also high on your list if you're trying to understand America would be the 'historic triangle' which encompasses sites representing three distinct periods of her early history.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks for your suggestions!

Would this route be too unreasonable for 2 wks.
    NY to Boston to Maine to Canada, Montreal or Ottawa to Toronto down to buffalo, Erie then pittsburgh to dc then back up to Philly then NY

Default If That's What You Want

The route you've outlined is around 1700 miles, so three solid days of driving. Spread over a two week RoadTrip, that's next to nothing. So if that's the area you'd like to see, go for it.

AZBuck

5. Default

Thanks AZ, do you think I should add more destinations to my trip or there are sufficient things to do/see/play for 2 wks. Where do I find information about motels/hotels. Should I pre-book or just show up at the door.

Also, how can I get the best deals on accomodation.

Quote Originally Posted by gidoc View Post
    Thanks AZ, do you think I should add more destinations to my trip or there are sufficient things to do/see/play for 2 wks.......
    The last leg of your trip is through Pennsylvania, and if at that stage you have time up your sleeve, I can assure you that there is so much to explore along the scenic highways and bi-ways of PA, you will easily log up any spare time. Route 6 alone, as they say, is not so much a route as a destination. Some things which come to mind along that route are the Grand Canyon of PA, the site and ruins of Kinzua Bridge, and untold other attractions and towns. It runs virtually the complete length of PA, and definitely deserves several days to explore.

And here are a couple of other attractions.

Lifey who loves PA