1. Default Orlando to vegas

Hi

im planning on flying into orlando by the end of the month with a friend, staying at miami, key west & tampa for two weeks, my friend is then flying out of orlando back home to london.

i then have another friend flying into orlando to join me for the remaing 18days, are flights back home are out of vegas.

is driving orlando to vegas in two and a half weeks realistic? i have had a look at some stops on the way... panama city, new orleans, houston, san antonio, phoenix, my friend has relatives in san diego which she would like to visit. if anyone has any other good locations to visit or even attractions and places or experiences in the above locations to share?

i have had a look at catching a train from san antonio to los angeles as an option so were only driving half of it. The disadvantages to that is picking up and leaving hire cars in four different places. would anyone highly recommed this option?

anybody who has done the trip or anyone who has any advise???

we are two females who have never done a road trip for more than 4 hrs drive! so any safetly tips would be much appreciated.

any ideas about cost?

Default Lot's of options

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

is driving orlando to vegas in two and a half weeks realistic?
    The drive could be done in 5 full day's of driving fairly comfortably, so you will have plenty of time for sight seeing. There are many options along the way so I would suggest getting a good map of the USA and taking a look for things that interest you. If the places you have listed are places you want to visit, you have the makings of your route and just need to research places in between. As I mentioned you have plenty of time to detour and get off Interstate and explore, there is more than one route choice.

Would National parks interest you ? Grand canyon is one that shouldn't be missed along the way ! Have a search of the forums for ideas and when you start putting dots on the map we can help to join them.

i have had a look at catching a train from san antonio to los angeles as an option so were only driving half of it. The disadvantages to that is picking up and leaving hire cars in four different places. would anyone highly recommed this option?
    Another disadvantage would be missing half the scenery and fun of the road trip. Unless you really don't fancy the drive I can't see much advantage in it seeing as you have the time available. This being a road trip forum plus the added expense I can't see too many recommending it as an option. Lol !

If you are going to SD/LA and take the car option it would be worth considering going to Vegas first and then flying out of LA, if that would still be an option.

Default certainly

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You can pretty comfortably drive from Florida to Vegas is a week, so having 18 days should be pretty easy.

For transportation, I would recommend just renting one care for the whole trip. The one way drop off fee is likely going to be one of the largest expenses of a trip like this, so trying to stop and start is going to take time, add hassles, and cost quite a bit more money.

Costs are so dependent on factors that are up to you, including your car rental costs, fuel, and choices for hotels and meals. $100 per day is a very rough estimate, but it may give you a starting point, and you can start adding things up once you've got a better idea of the details.

Here's a list of places all along the way that might give you some ideas of the many places you could stop. And here's another one that's a bit more specific to the western portion of your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by miss View Post
    We are two females who have never done a road trip for more than 4 hrs drive! So any safetly tips would be much appreciated.
    Believe me, there are many females on the road, travelling together or solo. Provided you exercise common sense and the same safety precautions as you would at home, there are absolutely no worries about safety at all.

Lifey - solo female roadtripper

5. Default

hey, thanx for all the above and taking the time to reply, much research needed!