1. Default Adirondack's in NY to California

Hello, my friend and I are thinking about going to California (either san fran. or a more southern city) in July. So far we only have the grand canyon on our list of places to stop at on the way. We haven't really driven for long periods of time (longer then 3 hrs) We're thinking of driving my 2005 Chevy Cobalt. I'm definitely getting my oil changed before and when we get to cali. I'm wondering what other good places to stop at are and any advice with driving and car things as well. I was thinking of doing around a 2 wk trip. Do you think that's going to rush things too much?
    Thanks!
    Valerie

Default Knowing your limits.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Is this a one way trip or a return journey in 14 day's ? You have 5 to 6 day's of solid driving to reach San Fran so if you have to return [another 5-6 day's] you really won't have much time for sight seeing other than a couple of day's at the Grand canyon and the places you stop at for the night. And if this is the case you will have to "step up" from driving 3 hours a day to 9 or 10 hours, day after day.

You really need to study a map and decide what you would like to see and how far you are willing to push yourselves to reach that goal, or whether it would be wiser to travel less and see more.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 01-02-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: typo

3. Default

Hey, thanks for the reply:) it would be a round trip of 2 weeks.. we were definitely planning on driving more then 3 hours a day... i was just saying that's really our extent of long term driving compared to a cross country trip. we were planning on driving nonstop by just switching drivers. even if we did that you still think it'd take around 5 days? we wanted to spend most of the time in cali because that's our main reason for going. we'd probably only spend 1-3 days at other places along the way.. didn't want to spend too much time doing this but it seems like 2 weeks might not be enough..

Default Pleeeease, NO !

we were planning on driving nonstop by just switching drivers. even if we did that you still think it'd take around 5 days?
    I am so glad you found the forums ! You can not possibly drive across the entire country non-stop by switching drivers, it is a car wreck waiting to happen ! You can't sleep properly in a moving car and with 2 of you, one would be trying to sleep while the other is desperately trying to keep their eye's open. No matter how many drivers, please do not try this, for your safety and that of those sharing the road with you.

we were definitely planning on driving more then 3 hours a day... i was just saying that's really our extent of long term driving compared to a cross country trip.
    I understand this, but your lack of experience in long distance driving is clear from the above comment, so I am pleased you have asked. What I was saying is, that to drive across the country over 5 day's is going to have you driving up to 10 hours a day, well above what you are used too, and day upon day would get tiring for the most experienced drivers, it is also on the limit of what we would recommend for a Safe journey on a multi day trip.

To summarise, you have a full 10 day journey for 4 day's in Cali, and keep in mind you were looking to visit Grand canyon and "other places" along the way.

If California/Grand canyon is your goal and you have 14 day's I would fly out to Vegas, San Fran or LA and then rent a car to explore some of the Southwest.

Default inexperience

I'm in complete agreement with Dave here, thinking that you can drive non-stop for 3000 miles simply by switching drivers are very much the words of someone who has never done a long haul trip. Your body just doesn't work like that.

In addition to what dave said about not getting enough rest and having one exhausted driver while the other is sleeping, you also my not realize that it really can be quite draining just to sit in a car for hours at a time as a passenger.

In addition to safety, however, you should also keep in mind that trying to do it in less time will also be a huge torpedo towards any chance of having fun on this trip. If you are pushing yourselves to the breaking point, you're not going to be in a good mood, you're going to be exhausted when you finally get to California and not be able to enjoy anything, and you'll probably be ready to kill your friends. All in all, trying to push your body to its limits is extremely counter productive, with lots and lots of negatives, and almost no positives.