1. Default SF to NYC Jan 4th

Hello,

I am moving to New York City on January 4th and will be driving out there in my 2000 Saturn with 142,000 miles on it.

I guess the biggest thing is trying to do it as quickly as humanly possible. Also, I need to know what the best way to track the weather might be... will I be able to make it on the 80 straight across? or am I sort of doomed to dangerous stressful conditions given my circumstances?

any other suggestions?

James Wagner

Default thats up to you

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Its certainly possible that you'll be able to take I-80 across, and since that is the most direct route, its probably your best choice. Adding hundreds of miles of driving to avoid weather is usually counter productive, especially if there isn't some specific storm you are trying to avoid.

Having said that, its also entirely possible that you'll see some winter weather that will force you to slow down or even stop for a day or two.

If conditions are clear, you need a solid 5 days to safely make this trip. I'd want to have a week available just in case something forces you to be delayed. Having a couple extra days to burn will greatly reduce the amount of stress for this trip.

If "as fast as humanly possible" means you were hoping to do this trip in less than 5 days, you'd be trying to do it faster than safely possible, and you should do everyone a favor and look for another form of transportation.

3. Default Weather Tracking?

What is the best way to track the weather or check for storms or 'rough' patches of the I-80 journey both before leaving and while on the road?

Any suggestions?

James

Default same as anywhere

Well, there are always a whole bunch of places to get information. If you've got a computer, obviously, you can get forecasts on the internet, but there are plenty of other ways to stay in touch. Pretty much every motel has the weather channel on their tv, so you can watch there each night, you can also do things as basic as listening to local radio or picking up a newspaper. Most states also have a 511 or similar system to get road condition information specific to the highway you are on, although I've found in my experience, that sort of info is often a better representation of what things were like 3 hours ago rather than what they might be in the semi-near future.

5. Default

What about stops? I was thinking Wyoming, Chicago, NY... but perhaps if I take more days I should split it up differnently?

James

Default Yes to more day's !

As Michael has already explained, to cover the ground safely you need 5 day's to make the trip, and that's with the weather on your side.

To get from SF to Chicago in 2 day's and cover over a thousand miles a day is simply not wise. Over 5 day's your stops would be around Wells NV, Laramie WY, Des Moines IA and Toledo OH. You could push on a little more over your first 2 days but it is a Marathon not a Sprint so don't tire yourself too much in the early part of your trip.

Have a safe trip !

Default again

As I said before, and as Dave reiterated, trying to to this trip in 3 days is suicidal/homicidal. Simply put there is no way that a human can get enough rest and stay focused enough to safely drive more than 1000 miles a day for 3 straight days. Even with 2 drivers this would be an extremely reckless plan.

Once again, if you need to complete this trip in less than 5 days, buy a plane ticket.

8. Default

great. thanks for the potential stop offs. I appreciate it.

I'm looking into how to ship my stuff and how to sell my car fast... and of course, buy a plane ticket. Five days of driving and hotel room for 4 nights ain't so great a plan for me. financially the cost of hotels, the cost of gas, and the risk of weather and of a broken down car (it's not new anymore) are perhaps too much of a risk.

We'll see.

James

Default seems reasonable

Best of luck selling your car quickly.

I don't think your car is necessarily too old to make the trip (my roadtrip vehicle is an 01 with 210,000 miles on it), but if at least 4 nights on the road - and possibly more if the weather is bad - isn't something you're interested in doing, then you are really doing the right thing. Your actions are appreciated.