1. Default Norwegians on roadtrip!

Hi! We are 2 couples from Norway who will be driving from New York To Florida in the summer of 2010. We are planning to spend 3 weeks in the U.S. and wonder what's worth seeing on the trip for tourists who want to experience the American culture and history. We also would like to experience things in Florida as, Sea World, Kennedy space center, Everglades, etc.

We have allready found a rental car so that part is OK.
    Does anyone of you know of afordable accomandations along the way? Is it best to order in advance or is it ok too just Wing it as we go?

Thank you :)

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I am partial to booking ahead around holiday weekends (such as July 4th) or special events in the area (annual vegetable festival?) since those are the times most likely to have limited accommodations. Other than that, winging it is generally okay. I would imagine you are looking to stay in hotel/motels along your route.

Despite what may be the worldwide perception, there are many different "subcultures" of Americans along this general route, from the metropolitan New York City dweller to the folks in the Appalachian mountains and everything in between. If you stick generally to city areas, you probably aren't as likely to get a wide mix of lifestyles, but if you take to the two lane highways, you're certain to find something different. However, lodging may be harder to come by in those areas.

My recommendation for a general route would encompass both the seaside areas (Delmarva peninsula, Cape Hatteras) and nearby metros (Washington DC. Baltimore, etc) and the mountains (Blue Ridge, Shenandoah), perhaps tying the loop together in Philadelphia.

I am assuming this is going to be a loop trip, starting and ending in New York - is this correct?

3. Default

Thank you!

Yes, we Are starting in new York and ending in new York. Think we are going too stay in NY for 2-3 days before heading for Florida.
    Last edited by Norwegian traveller; 01-02-2010 at 07:55 AM. Reason: .

4. Default

Are there any easy tools online which can help us plan a route? something with overwiev of things like distances and how loong it wil take us driving from point A to point B ?
    What is the avrage cost for hotel/motel/lodge, normal standard?
    Last edited by Norwegian traveller; 01-02-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Added a question

Accommodation costs vary widely. In most cities you're looking in the $100-50 dollar range, and in "smaller" areas you're looking more at $50-100. Of course, it depends completely on how nice of a spot you want.

For general driving distances and the like, I always use GoogleMaps.

Just got back from a day trip to the Everglades. Really neat place. If you like that sort of thing you also need to check out the Great Smoky Mountains and other spots in the Southern Appalachians. Much more macroscopically appealing, but offers the same complexity in various ecosystems.

On your inland route, I recommend driving out to Atlanta and then Chattanooga to begin. (Assuming you're doing the inland bit on the way back up). Spend some time in Chattanooga to see the Tennessee River Gorge and Cumberland Plateau, Lookout Mountain, Civil War battle sites, and riverfront. Then cross into the mountains on the Cherohala Skyway and spend some time exploring the Great Smoky Mountains. From there you can take the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way up to Shenandoah.

Joplin MO

If you do use Google Maps, add 20% to the predicted drive times to allow for traffic, delays, and stops. The computer assumes constant driving at the speed limit. We recommend not driving more than about 550 miles a day on Interstate highways, less on minor routes.

Default Blue Ridge Parkway - accommodation recommendation

If you do decide to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway - which links the Great Smoky Mountains and Shenandoah National Park - then I'd thoroughly recommend booking a night at Rocky Knob Cabins.

They're fairly basic but give you the opportunity to experience a night in cabins that were built in the 1930s as accommodation for the people who were building the parkway itself. Plus, they're only $65 a night - which is outstanding value.

And if you can build the Delmarva Peninsula into your coastal route, I think you'd find the drive along the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel another memorable experience.