1. Default West Coast Trip - Aug 2010

Hi,

Today, wife and I have decided to plan a trip to West Coast, taking in San Fran, Yosemite, Grand Canyon and Vegas (at least). We're UK based and will be travelling with x2 teenagers.

I realise that there's a lot of different ways to do this and as much as anything depends on personal preferences and to be honest I've just started to go through this forum.

Thoughts are to fly to SF and depart (approx 2 weeks later from Vegas). I'm sure with more research an intinerary will begin to emerge.

My question however at this early stage is more of one of planning. I was going to check out flights tomorrow..(as I said this was only decided a few hours ago). Since I haven't really planned such a trip before I was looking for any advice on best places to look for hotels, car hire, etc. etc and any other trips.. I'm guessing that availability will allow me to book the rest of the trip over the coming months, once I've secured flights.

Hopefully the question doesn't appear too dumb. The package/pre arranged tour deal doesn't really appeal since you never seem to get enough time at the places of interest.

Hopefully .someone can get me going..the site looks great and very helpful so I will be getting a lot of use from it over the coming weeks.

many thanks and happy New Year.

Default To Get You Started

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First thing you should be doing, then, is reading through some of the best previous discussions of this general RoadTrip. And then in looking for your best deal on a car hire, I'd suggest that you be sure to check out the European booking sites as I've been impressed at how much lower the rates are for the same car when you set it up from over there.

AZBuck

Default Building blocks.

I'm guessing that availability will allow me to book the rest of the trip over the coming months, once I've secured flights.
    Most definitely, we have booked either flights or accommodation [in our case an RV] 18 months in advance before now, and then built our trip around that. At this stage I would make sure that a one way trip is what you want and not a loop before booking flights. I say this as many visitors to the Southwest want to see coast and mountain and it can sometimes work out better to do a loop rather than zig zagging between the two. You could also find that it is better value to fly in and out of the same City.

I'm guessing that availability will allow me to book the rest of the trip over the coming months, once I've secured flights.
    Correct. National parks get extremely busy during this time of year and you will need to book well in advance to stay in such places as Grand canyon and Yosemite, but the "booking window" won't be open yet, although use the link to find info and book at the earliest possible time.

As well as being busy, keep in mind it can be extremely hot this time of year, especially in and around Vegas.

The package/pre arranged tour deal doesn't really appeal since you never seem to get enough time at the places of interest
    That's the beauty of the road trip, finding your own way and taking the time you want to spend at each place instead of being shuffled along with the crowds.

Make sure you include the kids in the planning and take on board some of their suggestions to get them interested and help create peace and harmony on the road ;-)

This link on our preparation for our first trip might be of a little help.

Enjoy the planning, it's a great part of the journey as a whole !