Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default San Francisco to Phoenix via vegas Aug '10

Hi there I am new to the forum and would appreciate any advise you may have.

We are flying into San Francisco and out of Phoenix 18 days later. We have no fixed itinerary yet but we would like to spend some time in:

San Francisco
    Las vegas
    Yosemite
    Grand Canyon
    Phoenix

If you have any guidance regarding "must sees" or good places to visit on route it would be great to hear it.

Thanks

Default Plenty

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Although "Must See" is one of our least favorite terms, since everyone's tastes and interests are different, the general area you'll be traveling through is one of the most popular and discussed RoadTrip venues around. So for starters, let me just point you to some of the best threads on the subject. They should certainly give you plenty of ideas for your trip.

AZBuck

Default Thanks

AZBuck, thanks for the link, I look forward to reading the content. Apologies for the "must see" I thought it would be the best way to gather ideas, appreciating that tastes differ.

Default Some thought's.

You will get Lot's of info via the links Buck linked you too and many others, but with the time you have, some things I would recommend are Death valley on route to Vegas from Yosemite. It will be extremely hot but you can enjoy the amazing landscape and get out of the car for photo ops and short walks from the car to viewpoints. Have water with you you plus sunscreen and hats though.

From Vegas I would suggest heading North towards Zion NP and Bryce canyon NP where you could head through Page [Lake Powell/Antelope canyon] and possibly Monument valley before heading to the Grand canyon South rim. You also have the option of visiting the quieter North rim between Zion and Bryce.

From the South rim you could spend a little time near to Sedona and Red rock State park. Enjoy the planning and when you have more questions, just ask.

Default Update

I thought people might like an update on our planning. We have researched the usual websites and various guides and so far we have the following:

6 Aug Arrive San Francisco (no hotel booked yet)
    10 Aug drive to Yosemite staying at Blackberry Inn
    13 Aug drive to Sequoia Nat Pk staying at Ben Maddox House
    15 Aug Drive to Vegas staying at Signature MGM (hopefully a bit of luxury between day hikes in national parks)
    19 Aug drive to Grand Canyon staying at El Tovar Hotel
    22 Aug Drive to Phoenix (no hotel booked yet)
    24 Aug fly home

Any tips for San Fancisco and Phoenix gratefully received. Also I want to hire a car in San Francisco and drop it in Phoenix and having difficulty finding a firm that will allow me to do this without extortionate costs, again any tips welcome.

I'd break the Sequoia to LV drive into 2 days and visit Death Valley on the way.

You may have better luck finding a car in SF that could be dropped in LA with no one way fee. Consider that instead of finishing in Phoenix.

Default Thanks

Cheers GLC will think about death Valley, but we are stuck with Phoenix as that were the plane leaves from.

Default Hire Car Help

Hi there,

I am travelling from San Francisco to Phoenix in August 2010 and want to hire a car (one way) and specify the vehicle that I want (e.g. Mustang convertable - cliche I know) and am having trouble finding a firm that will do both. Most will let me hire a vehicle in a certain class (smal, meduim, premium) but not a specific model.

Any assistance would be gratefully recieved.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-07-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Merged - Please do not create multiple threads about the same trip

Default Call the outlet

One option may be to call the specific location you are planning to rent from. I know that online forms tend to show something like "Mustang convertible (or similar)". The Budget rent-a-car site seems to offer the ability to pick a specific model, so you may want to try there.

There are specialty outlets that will rent specific models of car, but tend to be higher priced and generally do not provide for one-way rentals.

Default Nature of the Beast

Yeah, you're probably not going to find anyone who will make the specific promise you are looking for. As a rule, rental car companies will not promise any specific model, its simply a class. For convertibles, at least you have the advantage of knowing there really are only 2 models that are commonly used for rental car fleets: the Mustang or the Sebring.

Some companies, like Hertz, do offer specific models as part of a premium class of rental cars (sports cars, luxury cars, hybrids, etc) however, you'll typically pay a significant premium and will likely not be able to rent them at all for one way trips.

I agree with Tim your best bet will be to call the specific rental offices. Since only 2 models are typically in play for any company, simply ask what they carry for their convertibles. They still won't make a binding promise, but you could find that the Mustang is the only model they use for their specific fleet.