1. Default road trip from Dallas to NY

My husband and I are planning a spring trip to NY, with my parents and two little boys in tow, driving seems to be the only economical and possible way. We have roughly 10 days to 2 weeks. Does anyone have any idea of what to see? We want to see those famous sites of course... I know driving back and forth will take about 4-5 days...thanks for your help.

Depends on your interests; what's your family particularly into. There are thousands of really awesome spots between Dallas and NYC and it's hard to recommend one over another.

Default Right

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Dallas to New York is a solid three day drive if you only take time out for a few short breaks. But there are a few places along the way that deserve a longer visit and you could easily fit one into each of your drives up and back. These would include the historic city of Philadelphia, the monuments and buildings of Washington, the scenery of Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and the Mississippi River at Memphis.

AZBuck

4. Default

Thank you very much for your tips. I will definitely make a note on the few places you mentioned. We like nature, historical and symbolic/old cultural sites, not so crazy about the modern stuff... hopefully the driving itself would give us enough exposure to the nature. Again, I really appreciate your tips.

Default Cars and Nature

I don't think it's possible to get much of any exposure to nature while rushing past it at forty miles an hour. It just doesn't work like that. You can enjoy scenic views, as long as they stretch for a few thousand feet (which in my experience in the Southern Apps isn't very often). On the whole this is a good thing; if nature could be experienced in a car, nature wouldn't be worth very much to us.

6. Default

humm, good point... we need to do some serious planning...now this doesn't seem to be such a good idea after all, shall I do it some other way, or cancel it altogether?

Default Take some time

Quote Originally Posted by Hui View Post
    humm, good point... we need to do some serious planning...now this doesn't seem to be such a good idea after all, shall I do it some other way, or cancel it altogether?
    The more time you have, the better, but even with just 10 days, it is certainly possible to do the following: 3 days up to NY, 3 days in NY, 4 days back. This would give you a bit of time to spare to take in the scenery. Of course, with 14 days, you can split this up more and have more time in NY.

Also, are you going to New York City or somewhere else in the state?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    The more time you have, the better, but even with just 10 days, it is certainly possible to do the following: 3 days up to NY, 3 days in NY, 4 days back. This would give you a bit of time to spare to take in the scenery. Of course, with 14 days, you can split this up more and have more time in NY.

Also, are you going to New York City or somewhere else in the state?
    I am going to the New York City.