1. Default Grand Canyon to San Fran - 3 days in Jan

This is such a great forum and I have got so much useful stuff for our impending trip to the US already but I have a question.

We are driving from the Grand Canyon back to San Fran around the 8th Jan 2010. We have 3 days to do it in and I'm weighing up the best thing to do.

One option is to try a route going up past Las Vegas, through death valley and then up the 395 and then the 89, 50 and finally the 80 across back to SF. I'm a bit worried that this route will take be in to snow and even with three days might be a lot of driving.

Another option is to do death valley and then the 190 across. Then take the 395 south to the 178 across Sequoia to bakersfield and then the I5 in some shape back to SF. But look at the road sites the 190 is showing snow and the 178 could be pretty slow going.

We'd really like to see death valley but the last option option is to just trek back on the 15, 55 as quick as we can and then go across to the coast and back up a mixture of 101 and anything interesting over there.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Andy

Default misinterpretation

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Another option is to do death valley and then the 190 across. Then take the 395 south to the 178 across Sequoia to bakersfield
    Just so you're clear, this route doesn't go anywhere near Sequoia National Park or the big trees its famous for. It does graze the Sequoia National Forest, but there are no groves of Sequoia trees in this area. The closest would be a section north of Lake Isabella in the Sequoia National Monument, but that does take you up into the mountains, and certainly is are that can see snow.

CA-178 is a two lane road that is generally open year round (it occasionally does see snow but its not typically a major problem) and its got some curves, but its not an exceptionally slow route, except for a pretty short, but spectacular, trip through the Kern River Canyon between Lake Isabella and Bakersfield.

I really don't see why you couldn't fit Death Valley into your trip. At the worst, you could leave the park via CA-190, and go down US-395/CA-14 to and then shoot across the Tehachapi Pass (CA-58) and onto Bakersfield and I-5. That's certainly not going to take any more time than going all the way over to the coast and up.

3. Default Thanks

Thanks.

I wasn't expecting to get that far in to the park to see to trees. It was more to do as much interesting stuff as we can. But it's really useful to get the inside track.

Really appreciated.

Andy

Default swing and a miss

I'm sorry, I think you really misunderstood me. The only access to Sequoia National Park is from the west side of the Sierras, thus it is not possible to access (or really go near) any portion of the park (trees or no trees) on your current routing.

5. Default

Hi

You make complete sense - it's me. On my map the sequoia national forest is marked just above where I was looking. A case of typing and thinking about something else. I know the trees (and park) are a lot further up. Have decided to do the 178 across the Bakersfield with, perhaps a night somewhere in or around Kernville for night.

Thanks again.