1. Default Wisconsin to L.A. and back

In about a week I'm driving to Los Angeles from Milwaukee and then back after New Years. I've made the round trip twice already and taken most of the major highways before. I'm going with two other people(we are all 18) and we have been trying to find a route that is a little more interesting then the interstate. I'm planning on going through Houston on the way back but wasn't sure if driving an extra 15+ hours through Texas and New Mexico just so we don't have to be on the Interstate would be worth it.

If anyone has ever done this drive and has any ideas of things to see or good "off the beaten path" highways it would be very helpful. The last time I went to L.A. I took highway 40 from Denver to Salt Lake city and didn't mind the extra few hours at all. Does anybody know of any other highways like that?

Thanks for your input.

South of England.

Default Worth it?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Well to be honest there are interesting highway's all across the country, but which one's may be of interest to you is a different matter. It will depend on how much time you have, what you want to see, and at this time of year could be weather dependant.

If you want to go to Houston and have 15 hours to spare it's worth it, but I really don't understand why you would think that you had to go there,
    "just so we don't have to be on the Interstate."
    There are many great highways and some of the best I have seen are through Colorado, Utah and Arizona between Denver and LA.

I would get the map out and do a little studying, decide how long you have for the trip and keep an eye on weather forecasts and road conditions as you go.

3. Default

We will be going through Houston on the way there but on the stretch from Houston to L.A. we would rather be on smaller roads through some of the mountains in New Mexico or Arizona. Do you have any recommendations of good highways you have taken in that area?