Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Drive from San Francisco to Las Vegas

In August 2010, we are planning to drive from San Francisco to Las Vegas, preferably via Yosemite, however any route will be welcomed. We have 3 nights, 2 days to spare for the journey before we return to Scotland.

I am looking for advice regarding suggested routes and locations for overnight stops, including reasonably priced hotels.

Thanks

Default Night and day.

3 day's and 2 nights, right ? Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

This route is very popular and rightly so, it is an amazing and diverse journey. From SF it is a 5 hour + journey into Yosemite by way of I 80 [over Bay bridge] to I 580/205/5 and then CA120 to Manteca where you can continue on 120 or take US99 to 140 and this will depend on your first port of call and overnight stay. Inside the park there are no cheap Hotels but you can stay in Curry village which are canvas and timber type tents, quite reasonably. You can check that out and other hotel options outside the park, here.

I would stay in or around the park on the Western side of the Sierra's before heading over Tioga pass [CA120] and spend night 2 on the Eastern side. You will find lodging options on the 395 in towns such as Lee vining, Bishop and Lone pine. From here you could drive across Death valley on 190 to Death valley junction and then to Pahrump and 160 to Vegas by way of the Ash meadows road through a wonderful landscape. The views from your car are great but you might want to get out of the car for a short stroll and photo op's, make sure you have sunscreen and hats and carry plenty of water and snacks in the car, Death valley will be extremely hot in August.

Have a look around the forums you will find lots of info and if you have more questions just ask. Be sure to take the drive up to Glacier point in Yosemite.

With 2 nights, I'd stay one night in Yosemite and one night in Lone Pine (some well priced hotels, Dow Villa is our favorite) before driving to Las Vegas via Death Valley NP. Lone Pine is about half way. With 3 nights I spend 2 nights in Yosemite followed by a night in Lone Pine. If you can stand the heat a night in DV also recommended but no cheap stays. Most centrally located are Stovepipe Wells Village and Furnace Creek Ranch. Both have pools.
    Best is to drive to Las Vegas from DV via DV Junction and Pahrump For some reason Google Maps mentions Ash Meadow Rd. That's not correct the name of the road is State Line Road.
    Yeehaw

Default Both.

Best is to drive to Las Vegas from DV via DV Junction and Pahrump For some reason Google Maps mentions Ash Meadow Rd. That's not correct the name of the road is State Line Road.
    As I understand it, the road[s] in question from Death valley junction to the State line is known as State line road, it then becomes Ash Meadows Rd, Bell Vista Rd and finally W.Bell Vista Ave into Pahrump.

To the OP, not to worry, Once you have done a right from 190 and immediate left onto State line Rd [on the corner of the famous Armargosa opera house by the way] it's follow the road to Pahrump. Very straight forward.

Not sure there's still a sign for Ash Meadow Rd. Will check it nexy year;) Dave. Have you ever been to Ash Meadows? Makes a wonderful short DV sidetrip! Boardwalk, Turquoise waters and pupfish.

Default Not yet.

Hi Yeehaw,

No, I haven't but it has joined my "to do list". It looks like an interesting place, thanks for the heads up.

Dave.

Default Fresno - las vegas

We will be driving from Fresno to Las Vegas at the last stage of our holiday and are looking for a suitable overnight stopover.

Any suggestions and recommended hotels?

Thanks
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 01-09-2010 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Please do not create multiple threads about the same trip

Default puzzled

Fresno to Vegas can be driven in about 7 hours, so you really don't need an overnight stop unless you are planning to take some sort of detour. But I thought you were going to Yosemite - and if so why would you be going from Fresno to Vegas?

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Fresno to Vegas can be driven in about 7 hours, so you really don't need an overnight stop unless you are planning to take some sort of detour. But I thought you were going to Yosemite - and if so why would you be going from Fresno to Vegas?
    We are considering staying in Fresno after visiting Yosemite. We are still in the planning stage and and no route is totally agreed yet.

Default Your choice, but.........

By heading towards Fresno you will be missing out on one of the most spectacular and diverse drives known to man ! This would be across Tioga pass [CA120] and through Death valley as laid out in post 2. It's also less miles than Fresno, although a couple of hours more in driving time.

Choose carefully ;-)