1. Default Roundtrip LA to Monterey

I am from Colombia (South America) and I want to travel from LA to Monterey, round trip. Could somebody recommend me the best route (not necessarily the fastest), good restaurants and places to see?

This will be my second experience driving in the US, last October I did Phoenix- Grand Canyon.

thank you

Tucson, AZ

Default One Above All Others

Bienvenido al bordo RoadTrip América foros! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Clearly the route of choice would be the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH, US-101/CA-1). This is a scenic route that hugs the coast and offers numerous state parks, pull outs, restaurants, hikes and the like. This is certainly NOT the fastest route and indeed, you should allow two days minimum to take it and enjoy the sights. Highlights would include a tour of the Hearst Castle at San Simeon and a hike at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park to see the waterfall that empties into the ocean. But there are also any number of other parks and nature preserves along the way

3. Default

Thank you very much. It will be great if you help me with some indication about where to stay (city or town) since you said it will take at least two days. What should be the first day trip (I mean, from where to where)? and what should be the second?

Are there any aditional place that I shouldn't miss?

Tucson, AZ

Default Stops

The highlights of the drive up the PCH between Los Angeles and Monterey are largely in and amongst the many state parks on the way, so that's where you should start your search for the places that you feel are worth stopping at. As for your overnight stay, I'd try to get at least as far as Santa Maria the first day, the first part of which will be spent clearing the L.A. area. San Luis Obispo would be another good option, a bit farther along, with plenty of lodging options.