Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default help with Grand Canyon to Sequoia NP

We are just beginning to plan a late Aug trip with two kids 8 and 4. Fly from Indiana to Phoenix. drive to G.Canyon spend two nights. Like to find a place to stay for a night that's fun, tourist town, between Canyon and Sequoia NP to break up the 11 hr drive for the kids. Plan to stay at Sequoia few days and then drive to San Diego and stay with Familly few days before flying home. Any help appreciated.

I'm thinking maybe Lake Havasu?

Default Closer to 12+ hours!

Quote Originally Posted by JennaW View Post
    Like to find a place to stay for a night that's fun, tourist town, between Canyon and Sequoia NP to break up the 11 hr drive for the kids.
    The Grand Canyon to Sequoia NP would be a brutal day for kids and adults alike.

What I recommend would be to stop overnight in Yermo, and believe me, I've never recommended that to anyone... However, there's a cute motel right alongside I-15 (at Ghost Town Road) which you can use a base to visit Calico Ghost Town (regional park) in the morning before jumping back into the car for another long drive to Sequoia!

I'd also recommend breakfast at Peggy Sue's Diner directly across the road (to the east) -- Believe me, it's a place that you'll enjoy!

Mark

Default A few day's ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I was just interested to know how long a "few day's in Sequoia" might be. If it was 4 or 5 I was wondering whether you had considered splitting the time with a visit to Yosemite?

From Flagstaff I would recommend continuing North on 89 and enter the Grand canyon via the East entrance and enjoy the views from Desert view drive [64] as you make your way to the village area. Stop at the Watchtower for your first open views of the Colorado river making it's way towards the canyon, fantsastic. You then leave via the South entrance after your visit and you have completed the 64 loop through the canyon.
    During your stay hop on the free shuttle bus to Hermits rest and enjoy many more great views along the way.

We have considered Yosemite, but I don't know how many days to plan at each place at all?? Thank you all for the advice. I do plan to take each day easy. don't want to fry my kids out. so the drive is 12+ hrs between G.Canyon and Sequoia. Definately need to split that into two days drive. Advice on good places to stay near Canyon and Sequoia would be great to have. Kid Friendly. Nice Pools. Thinking staying in the parks would be fun? In a lodge of course. No tents.

Default My Family

Sorry, I didn't introduce myself earlier. Just read the tips :)
    But my family consists of me 33 y.o. mother and Occupational Therapist by trade, My Husband 33 y.o. Programmer, Handy, Likes Outdoors. My two kids 8 and 4. We have not taken any long road trips, this trip will be first despite that we are flying to even get "out west" but mosty we have done the disney thing. But have done share of camping, etc... and short road trips. Anyway, Looked up Lake Havasu. Seems like a nice place for water sports. we need low key. swimming beach??? Also, looked up Yermo! My husband thought maybe Mark owned the pistachio field there and that is why he recommended it. ha ha! Might be fun though!

Staying in GCNP is best you can do but you'll need a reservation far in advance www.grandcanyonlodges.com Sorry no pools. If you want hotels with pools you could try Tusayan at the south enthrance of GCNP. A shuttle runs from Tusayan to the rim in summer.
    I also gave a place for lodging between GC and Seki a thought. Lake Havasu City will be a (not too long) detour and other than the lake not much there beside London Bridge (bit out of place imo though). I won't recommend any place between Needles and Barstow on a family trip. There's a hotel in Ludlow though. Prob Barstow will be best and it has lots of cheap places for just stay the night.
    Between GC and Kingman make a stop in Seligman please. Special R66 town and the kids and you will like it. Another R66 stretch leads from Kingman via Ir10 (R66) over Sitgreaves pass to the mining town of Oatman but it will add time (count on at least 1.5-2 hours with the Oatman visit. Another place for a short stop for the kids is in Valle between GC and Williams and take a photo of the kids at the giant Fred Flintstone.
    Yeehaw

Default Maybe San Diego

Thanks so much for all the info. I think we have decided that to really experience GC and Sequoia maybe we should wait til our kids are older and for now just spend 7-10 days in San Diego. Sis has a house there. If we decide to drive up to sequoia from San D. and spend a night there what would be a good place? and do we have to Drive through L.A. to get there. that sounds scary to me??? Thanks.

You don''t have to go through LA itself - take I-15 north over Cajon Pass, then take US-395 to CA-178 and go in that way.

Default Not so.

Quote Originally Posted by JennaW View Post
    Thanks so much for all the info. I think we have decided that to really experience GC and Sequoia maybe we should wait til our kids are older and for now just spend 7-10 days in San Diego. Sis has a house there.
    If staying in SD is what you want to do then that is the best decision, however I must point out that I don't think you have to wait untill the kids are older to "really experience" the Grand canyon or elsewhere so follow your heart !

Have a great time whatever you decide upon !