1. Default The great west coast adventure - looking for feedback

Dear all,

I am currently planning our great 2010 west coast adventure, and would like your feedback on route, timings, waypoints and nearby things that I will be missing. (sorry about the bad lay-out of the list)

Saturday, 4 September 2010 arrival in Jackson Hole + pickup car
    Sunday, 5 September 2010 yellowstone
    Monday, 6 September 2010 yellowstone
    Tuesday, 7 September 2010 yellowstone
    Wednesday, 8 September 2010 drive yellowstone to bryce canyon
    Thursday, 9 September 2010 bryce canyon
    Friday, 10 September 2010 zion NP
    Saturday, 11 September 2010 zion NP
    Sunday, 12 September 2010 grand canyon , NORTH RIM
    Monday, 13 September 2010 drive to Vegas passing Hoover DAM
    Tuesday, 14 September 2010 vegas
    Wednesday, 15 September 2010 drive to LA
    Thursday, 16 September 2010 LA
    Friday, 17 September 2010 disney
    Saturday, 18 September 2010 disney
    Sunday, 19 September 2010 drive to yosemite
    Monday, 20 September 2010 yosemite
    Tuesday, 21 September 2010 drive to san francisco
    Wednesday, 22 September 2010 san francisco
    Thursday, 23 September 2010 san francisco
    Friday, 24 September 2010 fly back home

South of England.

Default Good job !

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

All parts of your trip are doable but a little tweaking could be done.

From Yellowstone to Bryce is a very long day's drive and I would try and get a few hours of driving South on the eve of the 7th and then continue to Bryce next day.

Going from the North rim of the Grand canyon to Vegas via the Hoover dam is not really viable. By going around the long way via I 40/US 93 you will add over 4 hours of driving. Time wise you will be better off going to Vegas via I15 and if you want to see Hoover dam take a short detour on the way to LA. If that is the case you could go from Bryce to North rim to Zion and I15. If you wanted to go the long way around and given your time you could consider the South rim to visit as an alternative to the North.

3. Default

Dave, thank you for your feedback.

How long a drive would you say disney to yosemite is? Would it be manageable to drive through sequoia national forest on the way, or does this make for too long a drive to do in one day?

South of England.

Default Pushing it.

I have not done that drive but I would estimate anywhere between 6.5 to 8 hours plus depending on LA traffic and the time of day you get away. [Someone will correct me if I am out on this].

If you were prepared to get out of LA extremely early you could miss the traffic and drive through Sequoia on 198 [ The Generals highway]but it would be a long day. You could shorten it a little by stopping overnight at somewhere like Oakhurst which is under an hour from Yosemite.

However I would urge you to maximise your time in Yosemite as it is amazing ! There is a grove of giant Sequoia tree's [Mariposa grove] near to the South entrance and all though not quite as big as in Sequoia they are big enough. You should also find time to drive up to Glacier point while in Yosemite.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 12-16-2009 at 09:34 AM.

5. Default

I have some more questions I'm afraid:
    In LA, what is a good, quiet, rural place to stay, near enough to the city but still nice and calm, with a small town feel?
    On the LA to vegas trip, would it be interesting to pass through death valley? Or is death valley not worth the detour?
    I am considering taking your advice and starting the yellowstone to bryce drive a bit early. What would be a good stopping point with a good hotel?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default does not exist

LA and Rural are about as polar opposite of terms as you can find. The LA is a giant sprawl of metropolis spreading out at least one hour in every direction on land. Unless you consider a nearly 2 hour drive each way to be "near enough" to the city, I think you're really going to struggle to find anywhere with a small town feel.

Death Valley is an absolute favorite of many of the regular posters here and i would recommend fitting it into your trip.