Default Solo trip from Seattle to Southern CA

hello!
    I'm completely new to this, but so far it's quite a bit of fun for the open-road enthusiast. I'm hoping some expert Pacific Northwest traveler can give me some words of wisdom for traveling from Seattle (UW! GO Huskies!), to California. I'm from CA and hoping to drive down to see my family. I'm not into the "road trip" aspect of things for now I guess. I'm just doing the 5 right on down. But I've done the straight drive from here to LA-ish area round trip about six times, about four times I drove it alone. I've never had a problem doing it all the way through in one day...but I've only done this drive in Spring/Summer months. the southern oregon region/Siskiyous (can anyone really spell that right?), are intimidating for me especially in winter. I drive an '07 focus, so a little car with tiny tires. I know i'll need to carry chains, not too worried about installing them...but my question is how is the ICE? Altitude + cold + I have a hard time not speeding = what are the odds I'll get stuck somewhere? Is it a wise decision to drive it this time of year?Advice for this solo traveller would be most appreciated!

Default Not straight through....

...at any time! Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Is it a wise decision to drive it this time of year?
    With the right amount of time and attitude towards the trip then driving is fine, but if you intend to drive well over a thousand miles non stop while struggling with yourself to keep at a safe speed I would recommend you take an alternative mode of transport.

This a 2 day trip in good conditions and if there is a winter storm that would require chains on Interstate you would be better off sitting it out for a few hours while the road crews do their job of making it safe.

If you want to drive, be prepared to take your time and know your limits to keep you and those that share the road with you safe. Check the weather forecast and road conditions prior to leaving for up to date info.

Driving 1135 miles straight through, alone, at ANY time of the year is extremely foolish. A fifty buck (or less) hotel room is very cheap insurance. You don't need luxury, places like Motel 6 cater to people like you. It's a cheap and usually clean place to plant your butt for the night.

thanks for the advice. i have stopped in yreka before to stay at a hotel. i was thinking of making this particular trip a two-day one. i didn't clarify that before. but mainly i was concerned about the ice and snow issues, not so much the fatigue when driving. i'm not a fool, i know my limits.

Default You're not alone

Quote Originally Posted by dani View Post
    ....... i'm not a fool, i know my limits.
    So did these drivers ... or at least they thought they did.

Yreka is the halfway point and a very good choice for your overnight stop.

If you have a hard time not speeding, why not get a cruise control installed?