1. Default Nevada Highway Conditions?

Hello there--

I am planning a drive from Las Vegas to Boise for Christmas and I am curious about winter road conditions along Highway 93 (as well as 318) up through Nevada. I am familiar with the drive through Utah (I-15), but have never taken the route through Nevada.

I know that conditions can obviously vary quite a bit as the weather changes (i.e. snowing, cold temps, sunny, ice, etc), but can anyone provide some insight as to general/typical/normal conditions through Eastern Nevada during late December/early January?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Default Sorry for the delay.

Hello, and an apology for the belated Welcome to the RTA forums !

I have no first hand experience on these roads and winter conditions but as you have said the weather can vary greatly so there is not really a "normal". The best I can offer is a link to the Nevada transport site and to check the weather prior to departure for up to date forecasts.

The 93/318 are 2 lane highway's and although 134 miles less in distance will add around 2.5 hours to your journey according to my mapping program. I would recommend an overnight stop either way but would definitely plan on stopping when taking these 2 lane roads with the short daylight hours.

I hope that helps a little.

The 93/318 are 2 lane highway's and although 134 miles less in distance will add around 2.5 hours to your journey according to my mapping program.
    My program only shows it as being 50 minutes longer. Your mapping program is probably not accounting for how desolate rural Nevada is and the generally high speed limits out there, the 2 lanes are mostly posted at 70. I'd plan on an overnight stop in Wells if you go that way.

4. Default

Thanks! That's great info!