Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Petrified Forest

My wife and I will be doing a road trip in April from St Louis to LA and north and east from there. I wanted to go to the Petrified Forest, but have hear that it's really pretty much of a waste. I think one report/comment said if you go through the park, you'll never be able to get that time back!! Is it worth the time?

Mike
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-13-2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo in the title

Considering it's right on the way, it's only 10 bucks to get in, and you would be right near a logical stop for your 2nd night on the road, why not?

Speaking of stops, I can highly recommend the Motel 6 in Holbrook - it's a large, new, and clean hotel and the room rates are very low. Free wifi and your room key gets you 10% off at Denny's next door. It's an excellent no-frills value for a place to crash for the night.

Default It's Up to You

As with any aspect of a RoadTrip, vacation, or life, what you'll get out of an activity is largely dependent on what you're willing to put in and what your expectations are. It's easy enough to criticize any thing or place as being boring or not worth the time, but it's not up to the place to entertain you unless you've paid big bucks for just that privilege such as at Disney World. Personally, I found my time at Petrified Forest (and the Painted Desert in the same National Park) to be fascinating, scenic, educational, and thoroughly rewarding. Take the time to visit the exhibits at the Visitor Center and talk to the Rangers on duty. If you familiarize yourself with what's available and get informed suggestions on how to make the park work best for you, you can hardly help but have a great time. If you just drive through and look at a few tree-shaped rocks, you'll be bored. It's up to you.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Considering it's right on the way, it's only 10 bucks to get in, and you would be right near a logical stop for your 2nd night on the road, why not?

Speaking of stops, I can highly recommend the Motel 6 in Holbrook - it's a large, new, and clean hotel and the room rates are very low. Free wifi and your room key gets you 10% off at Denny's next door. It's an excellent no-frills value for a place to crash for the night.
    glc

Thanks for your thoughts. I would hate to miss something because the internet said it may be a waste of time.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    As with any aspect of a RoadTrip, vacation, or life, what you'll get out of an activity is largely dependent on what you're willing to put in and what your expectations are. It's easy enough to criticize any thing or place as being boring or not worth the time, but it's not up to the place to entertain you unless you've paid big bucks for just that privilege such as at Disney World. Personally, I found my time at Petrified Forest (and the Painted Desert in the same National Park) to be fascinating, scenic, educational, and thoroughly rewarding. Take the time to visit the exhibits at the Visitor Center and talk to the Rangers on duty. If you familiarize yourself with what's available and get informed suggestions on how to make the park work best for you, you can hardly help but have a great time. If you just drive through and look at a few tree-shaped rocks, you'll be bored. It's up to you.

AZBuck
    AZBuck

Thanks for all your comments. I have to agree 100% that what you get out of any destination is what you put into it. We did a road trip to Seattle a few years ago and stopped at the Corn Palace -- very cool, and much more interesting that what you would imagine. Of course, I can't stop everywhere in the time we have, but this will be on my schedule. Thanks again.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum 5.7 View Post
    AZBuck

Thanks for all your comments. I have to agree 100% that what you get out of any destination is what you put into it. We did a road trip to Seattle a few years ago and stopped at the Corn Palace -- very cool, and much more interesting that what you would imagine. Of course, I can't stop everywhere in the time we have, but this will be on my schedule. Thanks again.

Mike
    Corn Palace in South Dakota? Very fun little place to stop, and the area around it is fun to walk around.

Quote Originally Posted by foxinsox View Post
    Corn Palace in South Dakota? Very fun little place to stop, and the area around it is fun to walk around.
    fox

I agree and there may be lots of people who just pass by without knowing about the place.

Mike

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum 5.7 View Post
    My wife and I will be doing a road trip in April from St Louis to LA and north and east from there. I wanted to go to the Petrified Forest, but have hear that it's really pretty much of a waste. I think one report/comment said if you go through the park, you'll never be able to get that time back!! Is it worth the time?

Mike
    Its worth the time only take 4-5 hours to drive & stop & see the area the visiter center is interesting. I stop in any time I am in the area. You can enter the park from I40 or US180 there isn't any place to stay or camp in the NP. I usualy camp at the Campground just outside of the Park on US180 two interesting Petrified Rock stores there by the Campground. I have attached a photo or two.
    billy bob

billy bob

Thank you for the response and the pics. I must say, even with a few pictures I wonder why I read about the waste of time for this trip. I'll be sure to add this back into our trip!

Mike

Default It's not a "rollercoaster ride" of a park

Mike, I think that Petrified National Park suffers a bit from "rug-burn" from the grandeur of other national parks. Seen from a very superficial level, Petrifed NP lacks the soaring vistas of Glacier NP or the glacial valleys of Yosemite or even the human historic elements of the Great Smokey Mountains NP and I think that a reputation for being less-than-exciting National Park needs to be considered in that context. That being said, there's a darn good reason that it is a national park and it doesn't take more than 30 minutes of being there to see what it is.

We look forward to your field report from this area.

Mark