Default a long road trip

Hey yall, since I got out of high school 9 years ago I have been wanting to go on a road trip. It won't be for a few more years to come until I get all the information and money saved up, and a new vehicle. Here's my general plan. I am located in Delaware, I want to travel to California following the southern U.S. I will return along the norther U.S. There will be two friends coming along at the moment. There will be lots of stops along the way. Probably try to stay at cheap motels and camp stops if possble but want to generally explore the United States. I want to take more scenic routes than highways. I'm trying to figure out about how long this will take and how much money I'll need. I figure it will be about 2 months and will need a total of about 10,000 dollars just for food, gas, lodging. Then more for additional spending to to cover bills while gone. How does this sound, do I need more time and money, whatnot? Thanks.

Tucson, AZ

Default Seems Reasonable

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I think that your $10,000 for three people and two months is a workable amount. It will require that you keep an eye on your expenses, but it should certainly allow for an enjoyable trip. As you note, however, your routine expenses such as rent, insurance, etc. won't stop, so make sure that you can handle those on top of the 10k. As for time, I've done similar 'once around the country' trips in as little as two weeks, and while rushed a bit they were certainly fun learning experiences. You will have the luxury of wandering back roads, spending extra time in areas that really appeal to you, and changing plans on the fly as the mood strikes. All in all, you should have a great trip. Next up is one of my favorite parts of RoadTripping, the anticipation, research and planning.

I was told that their is a road or roads in I think montana where during the day I believe there is no speed limit. Does anyone know of this (these) road(s) are located? thanks

Tucson, AZ

Default Urban(?) Myth

It has never been the case that Montana had any stretch of road where "there is no speed limit". This was a common misreading of the fact that some years ago, Montana had certain roads at certain times of day subject to no numeric speed limit, but rather simply to the the same "reasonable and prudent" speed limit on the books in most states that allow officers to charge drivers with recklessness even when traveling below the posted speed limit under conditions (such as rain, snow, ice, darkness, traffic, car upkeep, etc., etc.) that make the posted limit unsafe. But that was thrown out by Montana courts and the state legislature adopted a maximum statewide speed of 75 mph.

Last edited by AZBuck; 12-16-2009 at 09:08 PM.

Joplin MO

And don't push it. I was stopped for doing 81 in a 75 a couple years ago out in the middle of absolutely nowhere on I-94 in Montana. Broad daylight, no cars anywhere, dry road.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default A-men to that!

I've never had a speeding ticket -- so clearly there is NO justice in this land, (because I have a certain... appreciation for speed....)-- but I've seen cars pulled over left and right in Montana for exceeding someone's interpretation of a safe driving speed. I didn't know about the 75 mph standard -- but I bet troopers still pull people over for driving 72 mph.... if there's dust/sand/snow/rain/??? on the road.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default for the conditions

Yes, Montana did briefly re-start its "reasonable and prudent" speed limit on interstate highways in the 90s after Congress lifted the 65 mph rule for federal funding, but that only lasted for a couple years before 75 mph signs returned. And as has been noted, pretty much every state including Montana still has a law where a driver can be ticketed for going "too fast for the conditions"

Interestingly, on a very technical level, there was about a month or two where Montana really did not have a speed limit. During the month or so between when the Montana Supreme Court ruled that "reasonable and prudent" was too vague to be enforced and when lawmakers instituted the 75 mph speed limit, really any speeding ticket should have been thrown out - if you had the time and patience to challenge it in court.