1. Default U-Haul from Oakland to Orlando

I'm planning a move/adventure 'on the cheap': renting a 17ft U-Haul truck and moving household stuff from Oakland to Orlando in early January.
    The truck is a 17ft cabover, and no trailer.

I have to go from Oakland to Reno, to pick-up the majority of the items there, before going on to Orlando. That will involve going over the Sierras - A trip I've made in Winter in an SUV before.

U-Haul estimate 10 days for this trip, but I have no real time constraints here: I know better than to drive in questionable weather, and I'd like to enjoy the trip tather than doing a Death March...
    (My favorite nautical saying is...
    The three most useless things on a sailboat are:
    An Umbrella Stand, a Schedule and a Naval Officer !!)

What route is likely to be best for an unwieldy vehicle, and what sort of problems should I plan for ???

Thanks in anticipation.

Default You must be in the Navy then?

I have to go from Oakland to Reno, to pick-up the majority of the items there, before going on to Orlando. That will involve going over the Sierras - A trip I've made in Winter in an SUV before.
    The first part of your journey (I-80 over Donner Summt) ought to give you lots of real-world ice-storm driving experience! Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! January is often lots of fun for winter driving weather and I'm glad you know the benefits of getting off the road if conditions warrant.

As much as I love driving I-70 in the winter, I'd recommend that you stay on I-80 to Omaha, before you begin your southeastern diagonal to the "Sunshine State."

10 days ought to be a very reasonable pace. U-Haul prohibits the use of tire chains on most of their vehicles and so when hit chain-up places, you'll be "standing down" -- I'd still get some cable-chains that will fit those tires and be prepared to put them on.

Take it slow and easy and get a CB and listen to the weather channels for road condition updates.

Mark

Best route from Reno to Orlando:

I-80/NE-2/I-29/I-70/I-64/I-57/I-24/I-75/FL Turnpike. Possible trouble areas are I-80 east of SLC (Parley's Summit), which can be bypassed by going north on I-15 to I-84, back to I-80. I-80 between Rawlins and Cheyenne WY, subject to high winds, whiteouts, and black ice. Take I-435 around the NE side of KC, take I-270 around the N side of STL, then I-255 to I-64. Atlanta is a crapshoot, I'd probably take I-285 around the W side.

You are looking at a minimum of 5 long days from Reno to Orlando, with the possibility of bad weather and the truck having a governor on it, I'd allow at least 6 days.

4. Default

I'm in the middle of this Road Trip right now (Thursday).
    I decided to Wimp-out and ignore the advice of the Pros on here, and went South on I-5 to I-10, and I'm pretty happy with that decision right now....
    I-80 would be fun right about now....
    'Adventures in Moving' in fact.

Oh, and I'm not in the Navy, but I've been a boater for many years. In fact, one of the sailing mags has a motto that applies here:
    "Attitude - the difference between Ordeal and Adventure".

Default Glad you're happy with the route

But I-80 is clear and dry as toast. No problems in Utah and not likely any in Wyoming. It's been a very low snow period.

Foy