1. Default Atlanta to Maimi in Dec

I'm flying with my family (2 kids under 5) from London to Atlanta on Dec 12and plan to drive from Atlanta to Miami. We need to be at Aventura in Miami by 4pm on Dec 14th. Whats the best route to take bearing in mind the traffic? We plan to leave for Miami on the 13th & stop overnight at a hotel along the highway then continue the following morning. Any advice on where to route, stops and traffic would be appreciated as it would be the first roadtrip in the US.

Tucson, AZ

Default Straightforward is Usually the Best

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First of all, congratulations on not starting your RoadTrip portion until the day after your long flight across the Atlantic. This will leave you well rested and ready for the journey. The most direct route from Atlanta to Miami is I-75 south to about 30 miles beyond Ocala, FL and then using Florida's Turnpike pretty much the rest of the way. Although the Turnpike is a toll road ($14.60 for its entire length), it is your straightest shot and will have less traffic than the free I-95.

Your best bet for an overnight stop is the Orlando area which is well over half way but still a relatively easy day's drive from Atlanta, leaving you about 250 miles to finish up on the 14th. It has a plethora of lodging options being the largest city along your route and home to Disney World, Universal Studios, and other tourist attractions.

3. Default Thanks for the tip

Very much appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Although the Turnpike is a toll road ($14.60 for its entire length), it is your straightest shot and will have less traffic than the free I-95
    That may be the case in December, but I can assure you, it was not so in August, when we had the dubious honour of being stuck in heavy traffic, and taking much longer, and paying dearly for the priviledge.

May I suggest that you listen to local radio and find out which road is moving the best. Something which in August I ommitted to do.

I've never experienced much traffic on the turnpike.

I'd consider doing the whole thing in a day. It's a long day, but at least you can get it over with and then enjoy your time in Florida. It's about a twelve hour drive down from Atlanta.

Joplin MO

12 hours with 2 children under 5 is not good advice, sorry. That's 668 miles which exceeds our daily recommendation of 550 miles maximum. A night in Orlando on the way down would be best.