1. Default Driving from Florida to West Hollywood California January 29, 2010

Can someone please tell me if I will have any major weather issues driving from Florida to West Hollywood in late January? I am relocating and someone told me today I was crazy to drive in the Winter. Can someone please tell me the best route and the worst delays that I can expect? I figured if I stay in the southern states I wouldn't hit any blizzards and etc.

Thank you

Default Wrong on Both Counts

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by brenda

...someone told me today I was crazy to drive in the Winter.
    Nope, People drive cross country every day of the year. There is no particular reason to avoid travel in the shorter colder months, and making the drive when there is generally less traffic on the roads certainly doesn't reflect ill on your sanity

Quote Originally Posted by brenda

I figured if I stay in the southern states I wouldn't hit any blizzards
    Nope. You can just as easily hit severe winter weather in the southern states. Take a look at what has happened in Dallas, Albuquerque, and Flagstaff recently. We had snow here in Tucson on I-10 yesterday, albeit at higher elevations. And when the far southern highways do see snow, or worse - freezing rain, the road crews are less well equipped to handle it.

The thing is, there is no way to predict, until just a day or two before you leave, what the weather is going to be like along any of the multiple routes available to you. At this point, all you can do is familiarize yourself with a few of those routes and be ready to take the one that is most likely to have good weather based on the most up-to-date forecast you can get just prior to departure not on any preconceptions about what to expect. Since you are traveling east to west, you probably cannot rely on the forecast for the end of your trip, both because that will be the farthest removed in time, and because west coast weather will depend on what the weather situation is well out in the Pacific where there are few weather reporting stations making the forecasts more problematical. The only thing you can do is to build an extra day or two into your travel plans, say 6 or 7 days instead of the normal 5, and just be ready to sit out any inclement weather you might run into, and let the road crews do their job while you remain safe and sound off the highway.

AZBuck

The "best" route is I-10 all the way, with appropriate large city bypasses, such as I-12 around New Orleans. I'm not familiar with local conditions in Houston and San Antonio, and Phoenix can be bypassed with I-8 and AZ-85 if necessary.