1. Default Trip From Charlotte to Los Angeles

A few college buddies and I are planning a road trip from Charlotte, NC to Los Angeles, CA. We are planning to leave May 1st and to be back by May 24th. I have searched and searched possible routes that will provide us interesting stops along the way while at the same time being time efficient seeing as we are planning to do it all in a little over 3 weeks. Some of the obvious destinations we have chosen are: Las Vegas, Long Beach, and the grand canyon. I have never traveled off the east coast with the exception of Tennessee so I have no clue which roads would be the best for our situation or how to even start to map out our drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joplin MO

Go over to your local book store and buy a USA road atlas. That would be the best start. You get a much better perspective of what things are where with paper maps than you do with mapping programs on the computer. I recommend the Rand McNally. Use this in conjunction with the Internet to research attractions. When you have something mapped out, then you can translate it to something like Google Maps to calculate mileage and drive times. ALWAYS add 20% to computerized drive times, and don't plan on a straight through drive on Interstates of more than 500 to 600 miles a day.

South of England.

Default Joining the dots.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

As you have already searched routes with stops of interest then just keep researching for places in between your fixed points and get some dots on the map. With a round trip of over 5000 miles you will have at least 10 day's of solid driving leaving you time to do some exploring along the way with your remaining time.

You haven't told us anything of your interests but obviously it would be easier to see more by taking different routes there and back. Making your way towards St Louis and through Denver on I 70 would put you in touch with some great National parks between there and Vegas, and maybe head home along the path of 140 for Grand canyon, Four corners region and Memphis etc, but there are to many possibility's to start listing them all.

As glc mentioned, we recommend no more than around 550 miles a day which will put you on the road for 9-10 hours without sight seeing. There are no "best roads" but if you want to post up an outline itinerary we can cast an eye over it and make suggestions.