1. Default LA to Chicago 4-5 days week of dec 16--help!

my daughter and I are taking a road trip to Chicago..next week and driving the "low road"...Az, NM, Ok, texas,etc...I do like some sight seeing..especially along rt 66. i do expect to drive those major interstates, but I tend to get bored easy on the major highways..so some stops will be nice.

I would really appreciate suggestions on routes, stopping points etc. My concern was given the time of the year, weather conditions/ etc, what route should I take.

We also hope to make our first stop at the Grand canyon, but 40 degree weather does not sound appealing.

I would like to get to Chicago in 3-4 days and also see some cool/scenic stuff on the way there and make it a memorable trip!--yet not be on the road for 10 hrs/day without some stops

All ideas and suggestions are welcome. Thank You!

LA to Chicago via that route is over 2100 miles, which is four 10 hour days right there with no sightseeing diversions. If you only have 5 days to make the trip, this means you are going to have to be VERY choosy.

As far as the weather goes, there really is no "best" route - you will have to monitor conditions in real time and make last-minute decisions.

Default Weather forecasts.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

As glc has said, 4 day's won't leave you anytime for sightseeing detours and 5 day's will leave you a day at best if the weather co operates !

If you have not been to the Grand canyon then I wouldn't let a little cold stop you, it's not even below freezing ! ;-) Keep an eye on the forecasts before travelling and wrap up warm.

In this thread you will find places for a little Rest and relaxation just off Interstate.

4. Default La to Chicago...and avoiding bad weather

we're ready to take the ride on Thursday dec 16 and due in on Sunday night or Monday. 4 total days. I am reading that this coming week the weather may not be great so i am looking for alternative routes. maybe further south...but do not wish to add more time ot our trip..and still wan to stop once in while. I figure on 7-9 hours/day on the road...

5. Default a possible plan change

looks like the weather may be too rough to do Grand canyon. Is there a more southern route we could enjoy some of the drive and yet make time in better temperatures?

Moderator note Please do not create new threads regarding the same trip/question.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 12-13-2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Merged threads.

Default Not really.

I'm sorry but by heading further South will add time to your trip and will not be a guarantee of warmer weather. Even if you are not going to GC there is no reason to dismiss 140 or I80 untill you have got up to date forecasts.

I 80 is the quickest route, but going that way is going to require near to 9 hours a day to get you to your destination in 4 day's with time for short breaks for food, gas and a stretch of the legs.

Heading South on I 10/20/30/40 to Memphis will add nearly 400 miles and another 7 hours of driving.

It’s snowing in northern Arizona today, but for now, the weather forecast for the middle of next week doesn’t look too bad. Here’s the extended forecast at Grand Canyon Village as of 2 pm today. (clickable thumbnail)

Your best compromise may be I-15/I-40/I-44/I-55.