1. Default From New York City to Los Angeles and back

High fellow road trippers, here i am looking for your input. I am leaving from NYC to LA next week and i need some advise. I have a land rover defender d90 which can handle the snow and although is not the fastest car, has taken me from nyc to flagstaff a couple of times. I have 6 days for the trip to Los Angeles, and i was planning to stay in Alburquerque for 36 hrs or so with some friends. For the trip from LA to NYC i have just 4 days. Here are my questions:

QUESTION 1. What is the best time/day of the week to leave nyc and what is the best route to avoid traffic, Verrazano Bridge?

QUESTION 2. Since i am going to Albuquerque i was thinking of taking route 66. Any other suggestions. I have some time to stop on the way. I am curious about the road from New Mexico to California, i have never done it. What is cool around there?

QUESTION 3. What is the best time/day and route to leave LA to avoid traffic?

QUESTION 4. What is the fastest way to come back from Los Angeles. I won't have much time. Can you give me two options.

Thanks so much, Manuel

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    QUESTION 1. What is the best time/day of the week to leave nyc and what is the best route to avoid traffic, Verrazano Bridge?
    You will definitely want to listen to the radio (1010 AM) right before you depart and adjust your plan if your chosen bridge/tunnel has long delays. It should also depend on where you are starting from and what highway you are going to be taking west -- if you take I80, then you may consider the GWB.

Default Last Things First

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I would seriously recommend that you take a good hard look at your plans for the return drive. Not only is 700 miles a day a good bit more than the 550 or so that can be done comfortably, but each of your days will be an hour shorter due to time zone changes. Trying to make such a trip is only a guarantee that you will end up dog tired and unsafe.

Similarly, trying to make the westward drive in 4½ days with a major stop in Albuquerque is only marginally better. If you can't afford the time, and your times may be longer due to your vehicle, then maybe you should find another way to make the trip. Flying would be less costly and less time consuming and you'd see just as much, i.e. nothing.

AZBuck

Agreed - if you are traveling solo, you are at least a day shy on time each way.

The fastest way from NYC to LA via ABQ is I-80/I-76/I-71/I-70/I-44/I-40 - then I-40/I-15.

The fastest way from LA to NYC, weather and road conditions permitting, is I-15/I-70/I-76/I-80.

Both these routes under good conditions require five 10+ hour days with a vehicle that can do the speed limit - which is as high as 75 mph out west.

5. Default really helpful

Thanks for your insight. I am really taking your considerations into account. We have no autobahns here and the whole point of a roadtrip is to see the country, not to rush, drive at night and have a collection of road signs photos. Been there done that. I guess i need more time. Will keep you posted of what i decided to do.

Your points were so well taken.

Thanks a bunch, Manuel

6. Default Choice

As far as driving, here is the best i can do, you guys can tell me if it is feasible, reasonable and enjoyable, cause that is the point:

CHOICE A:
    * 12/16 DRIVING AT 8 PM FROM QUEENS, NY TO SOMEWHERE IN PA. DRIVING TIME AROUND 4 HRS TOPS.
    * 12/17, 12/18 AND 12/19, DRIVING TO ALBUQUERQUE WITH THE GOAL BEING IN ALBUQUERQUE ON SATURDAY 12/19 AROUND 6 PM MORE OR LESS. TRYING TO DRIVE 8 HRS A DAY.
    * SPENDING COUPLE OF DAYS WITH FRIENDS AND THEN LEAVING ALBUQUERQUE ON 12/22 TOWARDS LA, HOPEFULLY ON ROUTE 66 OR SOME OTHER SCENIC HIGHWAY YOU RECOMMEND.
    * 12/23 COMPLETING THE TRIP TO LA, WITH THE GOAL OF MAKING IT IN LA BY EARLY AFTERNOON.
    * THE WAY BACK FROM LA TO NYC, SIX DRIVING DAYS FROM 1/4 TO 1/9

CHOICE B: USE MY MILES AND FLY!

Default Plan C?

The first part of Plan A would still require at least 600 miles a day for three straight days, more than you can do comfortably and enjoyably or see anything except what's visible out your windshield as you whiz by at 70 mph or so. The second part is feasible, but would take two solid days if you plan to see the Grand Canyon and drive at the 'relaxed' pace required by the few significant segments of old US-66 that are still out there. Your drive back can be done in 6 days, but again that would leave precious little time for actually enjoying the countryside you'll be driving through. Plan B leaves you more time at your destinations but at the expense of almost anything resembling a RoadTrip. So, how about a Plan C where you use your miles to book a round trip to somewhere like the airline hubs at Denver, or Dallas/FortWorth, or even to Albuquerque, rent your car there, then enjoy your time in the southwest, returning your car to your intermediate stop and flying back to New York? You won't get to see the land in between New York and your intermediate stop, but you're not getting to really see it anyway with Plan A.

AZBuck

8. Default sowest hubs

Believe it or not, that is exactly what i started to do. Check on flights to Vegas, Phoenix, Houston, Denver, rent a car and drive to LA. Sounds like the smartest way.

God, i wish i could take a sabatical year to drive around and do Alaska to Patagonia, with a portage thru the Darien Gap. That would be something...

Thanks a lot AZbuck

Manuel