1. Default help for rv road trip las vegas to chicago

Hi guys

My partner have decided to spend our honeymoon in th usa andhave decided to fly to LA (5 days), fly to las vegas (5 days) and start our road trip from las vegs to Chicago.

We want to spend about 20 days (hopefully long enough)

Any advice or ideas on RV hire?
    Any advice or routes for the trip?

thanking you in advance'

Tony & Nicole

Default So many options.

Congratulations, Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

20 days across the country or in total ?

If it's 20 day's for your cross country trip you have plenty of time to do some sight seeing but you will need to do some research to find what appeals to you as there are more than a lifetimes worth of possibility's.

There are many National parks in the Southwest and I have visited quite a few in an RV and personally can't think of anything nicer. You can find one report here and my latest trip is ongoing in the "Roadtrip field report section if you would like some ideas in these areas.

To do a cross country one way trip you will be looking to one of the major rental companies such as Cruise America and El Monte, but do your homework as deals are constantly changing. One thing to be aware of is that by the time you have paid for campgrounds and extra rental charges plus gas consumption it would actually be cheaper to travel by car and stay in Motels, if it's a lifestyle choice go for it !

If you have any other specific questions just ask but for now I would get a good map of the USA and use the forum search button to do a little research and when you have some dots on the map we can help you join them together.

What time of year are you travelling, Spring or Fall, and is there a reason for flying to Vegas rather than starting your road trip from LA ?

3. Default thanks or the info

Hi

Thankyou for the info.

The road trip is 20-23 days, we decided on the RV because, as you said, it is just the lifestyle. We travel around Western Australia and camp and find people in the similar position are good company and nothing better than getting together for a few cold ones.

We decided to fly from LA to las vegas for time constraints.

We have a couple of places in mind, nashville, memphis etc but have only began the planning and I think that is just as much fun organising it all.

Not sure on how long it takes to get places or the roads. here we can drive four hours and not see any buildings.

I appreciate your help and once w have a few ideas will search the forum.

Regards

Tny & Nicole

I'd buy a USA road atlas to help you with your planning, I prefer Rand McNally. You can also use Google Maps for planning, but please add at least 20% to its predicted drive times. A rule of thumb is don't try to drive more than 500 miles a day in a RV, and that assumes the use of Interstate limited-access highways.

Default Oh, the planning !

Quote Originally Posted by usaherewecome View Post

The road trip is 20-23 days, we decided on the RV because, as you said, it is just the lifestyle. We travel around Western Australia and camp and find people in the similar position are good company and nothing better than getting together for a few cold ones
    That's a nice amount of time and we have met some wonderful people camping who are only too willing to share their knowledge of the area and swap stories over a drink.

We decided to fly from LA to las vegas for time constraints
    It might be worth you checking to see if there is any difference in the cost of RV hire in the different city's. The road trip is only 260 miles and would save you the hassle of going through check in etc at the airport, just a thought. If you spent a night on the road you could take a trip across the amazing landscape of Death valley.

have only began the planning and I think that is just as much fun organising it all.
    Absolutely ! I love the planning stages and although you don't have to stick to a particular plan, it is worth knowing your options and familiarising yourself with the areas before travel.

The National parks interactive map is a great resource for getting info on every NP in the USA.
    You will find a lot not to far from Vegas such as Zion and Bryce canyon as well as the Grand canyon and the landscapes are amazing !

Not sure on how long it takes to get places or the roads. here we can drive four hours and not see any buildings.
    Not quite, but you will find plenty of open space as well as regular services.
    500 miles in a day is a big ask in an RV but possible on Interstate.

On our recent trip with lots of sight seeing in NP's, we averaged 170 miles per day and 260 was our longest using highways and byways and we were constantly on the go with the combination of exploring on foot [no major hiking involved] and driving.

Enjoy the planning !

6. Default las vegas to Chicago (where to stop)

Hi

My partner and i are from Australia and are heading to the USA in June 2010 for our honeymoon.

We are staying in LA and Las vegas for 5 days each and then embarking on a 22 day one way road trip from las vegas to Chicago in a RV.

We are after any suggestions as to where to stop on the way, not sure to go North or south.

Any sugestion would be most welcome.

Regards

Tony

[Mod note Please keep all questions about the same trip in one thread]
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 12-06-2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Merged threads.