1. Default Seattle to Dallas Last weekend of January

Hello, I am in the military stationed overseas. My family and I will be arriving in seattle on 29 Jan and we will be driving to Dallas.

We are renting a minivan and I have been looking at different routes.

I would like to avoid weather as much as possible as I don't know what kind of winter accessories will bein the rental vehicle. I will have a GPS so getting lost wont be an issue.

Any advice ect would be appreciated...

Default Most direct.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

There is no way to avoid weather, good or bad ! It's to early to start making predictions of what that might be, but the most direct route on Interstate is usually the one to take if you just want to get from A to B as quickly and safely as possible.

According to my mapping that would be I 90/ 82/84/80/25/70/135/35 but you could have an alternative at hand in case of a weather event. At a little over 2200 miles we would recommend a minimum of 4 days to make the trip, but an extra day or 2 would be less pressure and would afford you the time to pull off the road in adverse conditions and let it pass through.

Have a safe journey !

Default Upping the Odds

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The best way to increase your chances for a trip free from serious weather hassles is simply to go where the weather is good. Simple as that sounds, there's no way to know what the weather will be like until just a day or two before you start out. Your best chance, then, of upping your odds is to do just what you're doing and look at, and be prepared for, several different routes. Then just take the one that offers the best weather. Your basic choices include I-90/I-82/I-84 to Salt Lake City and then 'stair stepping' on I-80/I-25/I-70/I-35 to Dallas (~2200 miles); I-5 to Los Angeles and then I-10/I-20 (~2575 mi.); I-90 all the way to Sioux Falls and then I-35 (~2400 mi.). All of those are going to take 4-5 days. Your other option is to build in a 6th day to your travel plans and use it as needed to sit out any bad weather along your chosen route.

And just one man's observation on GPS. It's fine and has its uses, but it is absolutely no guarantee against getting lost. This summer, for example, I was in Oregon looking for a lake with a particularly scenic view of Mount Hood. The lake was in my GPS' database, so I plugged it in, hit the 'Go' button and blithely followed the directions. down dirt roads, through private property signs, etc. When I was headed straight up the side of the mountain on a one track, rutted road in rocky wooded terrain and the GPS was telling me I had 'reached my destination' I wanted nothing more than to throw the thing out the window. I used to program missiles and rockets to use GPS and I know how fraught with possibilities for error they can be. But actually, their biggest problem is that they don't offer a good synoptic view of the highway system or your situation. Do yourself a favor and buy a good atlas (less than $10) and use it at least as much as the mindless machine.

AZBuck

I get 2115 miles in my mapping software for the fastest route. 4 days.

I-90/I-82/I-84/I-80/I-25/US-64/US-87/US-287.

Overnight stops (give or take):

Twin Falls ID
    Cheyenne WY
    Amarillo TX

Alternate if the weather in the Rockies is bad:

I-5/CA-58/I-40/US-287, 2525 miles. 5 days.

Weed CA
    Bakersfield CA
    Holbrook AZ
    Amarillo TX

If I-40 is also bad (LAST resort):

I-5/I-210/CA-57/I-10/I-20, 2635 miles, 5 days.

Weed CA
    Bakersfield CA
    Tucson AZ
    Pecos TX

With either of the alternates, you would have to check on I-5 conditions in southern OR and northern CA.

5. Default

yeah I am currently using map-quest to map out al the possible routes, and I am trying to make the routes match up as much as possible so if there a change needed to weather I can make it.

also should I be able to buy snow chains near the pass if needed?

Default Don't count on it

Quote Originally Posted by swmorin View Post
    .............. I will have a GPS so getting lost wont be an issue.

Any advice ect would be appreciated...
    As already stated, for more than one reason, don't count on it. Over the summer my brand new GPS took me to the wrong or irrelevant locations on more ocassions than I care to recall. Follow Buck's advice and get a good atlas or good maps.

Lifey who relies mostly on maps

If the conditions require chains, I'd delay the trip or take an alternate route.