1. Default LA to Vegas to Grand Canyon

Hello. I am brand new on these boards so hope I'm in the right place. We are planning a one week trip in a RV over the Christmas break. We are a family of 5, three kids under twelve. We'll be starting off in LA and returning to LA. And we have never driven a RV before. All we know is that we want to get to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon. The rest is open. What do you suggest?

(Moderator Note: I moved your post to its own thread. We're glad you were looking around first, but its easier to just create a new thread since this is a separate thread)
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 12-04-2009 at 05:53 PM.

Default working with

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

A week isn't a ton of time for this trip, so you'll have to keep things pretty close to the direct route. Remember, its a full day drive from LA to the Grand Canyon, and a half day drive back to Vegas.

I don't know your interests, but I'd probably look at a loop, going out towards Palm Springs and Joshua Tree NP, onto the Grand Canyon, head back to Vegas, perhaps making stops along old Route 66 and/or the Hoover Dam, and then make a swing through Death Valley on your way back to LA.

Even that may be more than you really want, but that's a nice outline of a basic possiblity.

3. Default Thanks

Thanks Midwest Michael. So would that include some old cowboy towns for the kids? Could we get Sedona into that as well?

Default It's posible.

It is possible to got to Sedona within your time frame but it depends on how you want to juggle your time, what pace you want to move along at and what you decide interests you the most. For instance if you wanted 2 nights in each of the GC and LV the rest of your trip will be driving through, with the possibility of some scenic detours.

If the kids want a cowboy town you could check out Calico ghost town and it's opening times which is located near Barstow.

An RV is quite easy to operate but it will take a little time to adjust to it's size and the feel of it. I certainly wouldn't consider driving from LA straight through to GC or Sedona on your first day while you are familiarising yourselves. If Death valley appeals you could always head the other way around and stop on the edge of DV at Panamint springs resort [check campground status] and continue to Vegas next day and then Grand canyon. The Oasis resort in Vegas is a very nice site and has a shuttle to the Strip or it's a short [ish] cab ride. Circus Circus also has an RV park, although I believe it's more of a parking lot. Mather campground at Grand canyon is set amongst woodland and only a short walk to the village and rim, wonderful !

From there it's a case of what time you have left and where you want to head, have fun !

5. Default

Death Valley seems like a long drive for hte first day also. Can you suggest a place to stop before that? Also, are these roads really curvy, in which case will we really be okay in a rv in the middle of winter?

Death Valley is only about 250 miles from downtown LA. Even in a RV, you should have no problem getting into the park in 6 hours or less. Depending on where in LA you are coming from, you can take either I-5 north (possibly taking I-405 to get to it) to CA-14 to US-395, or I-15 north to US-395. Once you get over the mountain on I-5/CA-14 or I-15, it's a pretty easy drive either way. From US-395, CA-190 will take you in the west entrance.

7. Default

What about the roads into the grand canyon, are those roads twisty and turny for a novice rv?

Default It'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tammy View Post
    What about the roads into the grand canyon, are those roads twisty and turny for a novice rv?
    No, you shouldn't experience any real difficulty, all the roads are paved and in good condition with nothing out of the ordinary to worry about.

The highway from Williams up to the GC south entrance is a well-maintained 2 lane with no significant grades or curves. The same applies to the highways from Flagstaff to the east entrance.