Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barcode Roads

1. Default Barcode Roads

The future of the automobile is most facinating. I love to watch the challenges of DARPA. Was curious on whether or not you have considered the future auto may be possible and drive itself on a new type of road. Change the road, get the future car. The technology is there it just needs to be put together. I am always future forward in my view of the future of transportation! Would love to get a response, or debate.

Default No thanks.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forum !

Certainly a very different first post, but in all honesty that sounds like my worst nightmare!

To have a car so far advanced that you have no input except to tap a code and route into a computer, no thanks I could take the train. Lol !

I love to drive and enjoy "tinkering" with cars, taking pride in having them running in the "sweet spot". To get oily once in a while and to be in total control of your vehicle is part of the road trip culture for me. Man, machine and the open road working together in perfect harmony is what gives you that sense of freedom, take that away and I am nothing ! ;-)

I have petrol running through my veins ! Ha Ha

Default We were there at the begining

I have mixed feelings about this. I love the technology and have had the opportunity to get a real insider's view into the DARPA Grand Challenge Racing Series.

We covered the very first public event in 2004
    Several articles on the 2005 event, here's one.
    And the 2007 Urban Challenge Event

I really like the active role of driving, like Southwest Dave, alludes to. I guess what I like is to have the choice. To have a vehicle that could drive by wire, so I could rest or work on the Web, while in transport, but also to have the option to have full manual control. Actually, I would love it, if a hybrid system allowed for higher speeds of transport. 150+ mph with the appropriate high-tech sensors to lend an element of safety.

I really don't want it 100% safe --I prefer the risk of mayhem so I can employ my skill at accident avoidance -- but I'd like to reduce the element of those drivers who are not paying attention to the work at hand.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Me too!!

(How interesting. It would not accept the above message 'cause "I had not said enough". Just once in a while when I do not sprout on and on, and it's not acceptable.)

Default It's an anti-spamming control

Lifey,

We don't want two-word responses and usually we just delete them manually.

This is not a chat room -- it's a forum and we prefer complete sentences when possible.

Mark

6. Default hands on

Hello and welcome to the RTA forum !

Certainly a very different first post, but in all honesty that sounds like my worst nightmare!

To have a car so far advanced that you have no input except to tap a code and route into a computer, no thanks I could take the train. Lol !

I love to drive and enjoy "tinkering" with cars, taking pride in having them running in the "sweet spot". To get oily once in a while and to be in total control of your vehicle is part of the road trip culture for me. Man, machine and the open road working together in perfect harmony is what gives you that sense of freedom, take that away and I am nothing ! ;-)

thats funny because my great grandma got a washing machine for christmas one year from her son and she said "what am I supposed to do with that?" she stored the washing machine in the shed and continued wash board and rinding by hand! old fashioned isnt the future, however you can create an option driver yourself for that old timey feeling!
    Last edited by poleflux; 12-06-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Horses for courses.

Just maybe, she liked to wash by hand !

I am all for advanced technology and forward thinking, but I also love to drive in the true sense of the word. I already find most modern cars to advanced and soul less to get an "old timey feeling."

I want the senses to be doing overtime, I want to feel every tweak of the suspension, the contact with the road and the engine to sing sweetly as you go through the gear box.

I like to walk, I don't mind taking the train or other means of transport, perhaps even a "barcode taxi" to get about, but when I go for a drive I want to be able to do just that.

I love the Internet and how fast it develops and how it puts you in touch with the world, but that doesn't mean I will settle for sitting at home to view the Grand canyon. ;-)

My ideal vehicle for a road trip would be a rear drive car with IRS, manual trans with linkage operated clutch, nonpower rack and pinion steering, and nonpower front disk brakes.

Default Tech to a point

I love the Internet and how fast it develops and how it puts you in touch with the world, but that doesn't mean I will settle for sitting at home to view the Grand canyon. ;-)
    I feel the same way. I suppose that working in technology for a little while now has made me even more wary of certain changes that claim to make the world a safer, better place to live. However, it does appear that many people will quickly decide to give up a degree of freedom and control for that feeling of safety, in whatever way they've been able to define.

The "barcode road" idea is not a new one. Various forms of this idea have come and gone over the past 50 years. It also seems to assume that conditions will remain ideal on the path being traveled. No earthquakes, wildfires, or other nastiness outside of bad weather.

How about not trying to turn cars into railroads and working on the development of a Star Trek style transporter? Then I'd be impressed, even if we only used it to ship merchandise.

Default RWD for the win !

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    My ideal vehicle for a road trip would be a rear drive car with IRS, manual trans with linkage operated clutch, nonpower rack and pinion steering, and nonpower front disk brakes.
    My little project is RWD with LSD, IRS, Manual gearbox and although it has power steering gives wonderful feed back. Very well balanced with a near 50/50 weight balance but can get "twitchy" on the edge.

Lots more to come but at the moment is around 265 bhp and at 1200 kilo's propels it to 60 mph in approx 6 secs.
    Not bad for an old Nissan ;-)

Oh how I wish I could drive it on America's best !