1. Default moving from CA to rochester ny.need help

hello to everyone here.i have to move to rochester ny this dec but everyone is discouraging me because they think its not safe.i will be with my wife and 2 kids(8 and 11yrs)and a few of our stuff.ill be driving a 2004 toyota sienna.i originally planned for a 5/6 day trip but beggining to have doubts.planning to go through I 40 or I 70.i really need good unbiased,experienced opinions.were planning to leave dec 12.thanks in advance

Hi emy,

If I were you, I'd avoid I-70 and allow for more time (like 9 days, maybe?), but I don't think it's unsafe if you're a cautious driver to take I-40, or perhaps even a more southerly route.

I'm planning a reverse trip in December, and I'd be a little bit nervous about I-70. Do you live in northern CA? I took I-70 once West to East in the summer and the mountains in UT & esp CO were pretty intense, and that was the summer! Once I drove East to West on I-40 in late Jan/Feb and had no problems at all, but there was hardly any snow to be seen.

I would think with 2 kids 5-6 days would be pretty intense. I'm planning to drive with my wife and our puppy in Honda CRV in 6 days from Rochester to So Cal, and it looks like there are going to be quite a few pretty long-haul days. If I had kids, I might try and take 9 days or so, and maybe have one day in the middle where you stay in the same place for two nights.

I myself am debating between taking I-40 across OK, TX, NM, and AZ or going down to I-20/I-10, because I'm worried about snow & ice in northern TX & NM. Once I was stuck in a huge traffic jam when I was driving from Santa Fe, NM to Austin, TX (via Lubbock), near the TX/NM border. It was in late December and there was a lot of snow & ice, and they had trouble clearing it and everybody was driving about 20 miles/hr. That's why I'm even leery of I-40, but I think it's a nicer route than I-10/20, and the latter takes you out of your way.

Good luck!

Default Unsafe ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I am not sure what you mean by unsafe ? People drive throughout the country and across it on a daily basis or are you referring to timing?

Normally we would recommend 5-6 days minimum for this trip but it might be a bit to much to ask with 2 young children being couped up in a car for 8 to 10 hours a day and an extra day or two would make things a lot easier on all of you.

It's difficult to recommend one particular route as we often suggest waiting to see what the weather may hold in store prior to leaving, but the most direct route is the one to choose unless their is likely to be a weather event on one route and not another.

Where in California are you moving from? That makes a HUGE difference in planning.

5. Default

thank you for the replies.ill be coming from socal,san gabriel valley.im basically worried about driving in the snow because everybody tells me that its a lot different and dangerous because i have no prior experience(except for big bear).i just heard that the I 70 was better serviced than the I 40.ill probably take the I 40

Taking 40 is only about 40 miles longer than taking 70. You do need to realize that 40 is far from immune to snow and ice storms. I would make your decision at the last minute after checking weather and road conditions. You also need to keep in mind that I-90 between Cleveland and Rochester is subject to heavy lake effect snow. You are moving to a very heavy snow belt, you will have to learn how to drive in it sooner rather than later.

If you do take 70, take 76 out of Denver to 80 and take that across to Cleveland. If you take 40, take 44 out of OKC to STL, then take 70 to Columbus, then 71 to Cleveland.

Without weather delays, you CAN make this drive in 5 full days, but having a couple more available will be a lot less stressful.

Bottom line - no matter what route you take, it will be subject to ice and snow. If you stick to the major Interstates, the affected highway departments make a concerted effort to keep them clear - *BUT* - the ice storms that 40 is subject to are a LOT worse than trying to drive through snow. Been there, done that. TX and OK don't do a very good job - UT and CO do an excellent job. If you hit bad weather, just find a hotel and wait it out.

If it makes you feel more secure, stop by Walmart and get a set of cable chains for your van, and practice putting them on. If you are moving to Rochester, it may not be a bad idea to have them anyway!

Default Awareness.

The weather does not make your journey unsafe, it's how you adapt to the conditions and drive accordingly that matters and Interstates are a major priority to keep clear so that the Country can keep on the move. Now that you are aware of possible disruption [although not a certainty] just give yourself the time to make the trip and you will be fine.

I really wouldn't recommend relying on 5 day's for the journey with 2 young children to keep entertained, if you got slowed by the weather and the kid's get restless you could be in for a miserable time.