Default October 2010 7-8 day trip from Pensacola

Good Evening!

I'm new to the forum and joined after reading a few of the threads that appeared to be quite helpful to the posters. Kudos on the sense of community you've developed here!

I'm in the planning stages for a Fall 2010 road trip to where I can feasibly drive in the span of 7-8 days (round trip) from Pensacola. My initial plan was to do a fall foliage 'leaf peek' trip, but it appears the best viewing for the changing of the leaves is in the New Hampshire/Vermont area, and as much as I'd like to go there someday to see the beautiful scenery, I don't see that happening in a 7-8 day road trip! :o) So, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding something more feasible, that would still enable me to see some changing fall foliage (we don't get very much of that here!) as well as perhaps some 'must see' locales along the way (i.e., must eat at "Joe's Diner" or stop and see "The History of Joe Schmo" in Podunk, USA, etc).

Like most people, I'd like to be as economical as possible, but I'm not much of a camping type (heck, I don't even own a sleeping bag and I couldn't erect a tent if my life depended on it!), so I'll need to ensure I plan accordingly for areas that have hotel/motel accomodations along the way.

I've given myself plenty of time to plan this little adventure, and I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks for your time!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default southern mountains

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You are right that the Northeast is a bit far for this trip, but there are still plenty of places where you can see folliage in the south.

Your best bet would probably be to head for the Smokey Mountains, as there are lots and lots of great opportunities for foliage throughout the southern mountains. You could also look to head west a bit and head over towards Kentucky, to places like Mammoth Cave, Land Between the Lakes, and perhaps down the Trace.

Thank you, Michael, for the welcome and the suggestions. I like the idea of the Smokey Mountains, as I've always wanted to go there. I've never even heard of the other three locations you mentioned, but they all sound interesting! Time to do a little research! :o)

Thanks again!

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Joe's Diner

Quote Originally Posted by RWeThereYet View Post
    ... (i.e., must eat at "Joe's Diner" or stop and see "The History of Joe Schmo" in Podunk, USA, etc).
    Since Kentucky was mentioned as a possible point in your trip, I'll give you a little tale about a place called "Joe's Diner" in a town that will remain nameless. I'll try to keep this short.

I believe it was 1999, when my significant other and I stopped in Joe's Diner. It looked reasonably well liked by the amount of vehicles in the parking lot, so we figured why not.

Anyway, I ordered their "special". The waitress said that she didn't think they had that, nor had they ever had that. My girlfriend ordered some coffee and asked for some creamer. A man brought out the creamer and watched as it was poured into the coffee. "Got enough creamer in there?" he said. "No" was the gf reply. "Well, we only have so much."

Great customer service, that.

Anyway, I don't remember what either of us ate (I know I didn't get the "special"), but I do know that a few years later we drove by the same diner and the only thing we saw in the parking lot was a field of weeds.

They probably couldn't afford the creamer bill and closed.