So, I've discovered that I've got a few extra days off that I need to use by the end of the year, and a free plane ticket to anywhere that AirTran flies. That means about the most exotic destination I can go to is San Juan, so I'm thinking of taking the family there for a last minute getaway (this will also save me from having to do any christmas shopping, so win-win!).

We'd be gone for about a week, and I'm looking at renting a car. I've just started looking at what I want to do, but I'm thinking a day or two in Historic San Juan, a few days in the mountains following La Ruta Panoramica, and maybe another day elsewhere on the coast.

So, has anyone spent any time in Puerto Rico and have any favorite spots? I'm looking more for historic, scenic, and peaceful rather than the party scene or luxurious. Thankfully, the wife speaks passable Spanish, so we can get away from the most resort oriented areas.

I'm also looking at saving some money by doing a lot of camping during this trip. From what I've researched so far, there are quite a few public-run campgrounds, but they tend to be rather bureaucratic where you need to get permits in advance. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this?