Thread: winter drive

Default winter drive

greetings!!

Starting to plan our winter driving trip. Tentative idea.... Duluth MN to Sault St Marie, to Detroit, (Ford Museum) to Niagra Falls, down into Ohio to follow the Ohio River Scenic Byway all the way to the end at Cairo Ill., with a side trip to Bowling Green to see the Corvette factory and museum.
    From Cairo we'll head north to Springfield and the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library & Museum, and then head back towards Duluth and home.
    We are planning on 9 days to do this.
    Hows this sound to y'all? If anyone has any cool stops to add to this trip, please let us know....

thanks, and be carefull out there!

Rod & Judy

one other thing, i'm looking at either a Garmin nuvi 1450 5'' screen,
    or a magellan roadmate 1700 7'' screen.....
    anyone have any experience with either of these units??

thanks again
    Last edited by ness5353; 11-29-2009 at 06:44 PM.

2. Default 9 day trip

Welcome to Road Trip America Forum Doesn't seem like you have planned enough time for this trip. You will be traveling over 1300 miles If on your travel days you ave. 60 mph and drove for 7 hrs that would be 420 miles a day which is about 3 1/2 driving days to cover 1300 miles. That will leave you 5 1/2 days to visit & enjoy the 6 or 7 places that you have listed to visit. You need more days for this road trip or cut back on the places that you are going to visit.

billy bob

Default I guess there's no time limit on being welcomed!

Rod and Judy it's been way too long since we've heard from you. I need some more roadside marvels!

How was your summer?

Billy Bob's advice would be spot-on, if you were a newbie, but I happen to know that you are both veterans of the iron butt style of roadtripping, you're not anticipating doing this in the 'Vette I hope? Or do you still have that Jeepster?

I know you are both winter driving experts, but looking at the route -- yikes, lots of lake-effect snow systems -- I hit some bitterly cold weather in Springfield last January -- When are you planning on doing this?

Again great to hear from you -- and I think it's cool that a relatively new member is welcoming a couple of old timers like you to the Forum. I doubt anyone will be welcoming me anytime soon.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    I doubt anyone will be welcoming me anytime soon.
    Mark
    Welcome Mark, we see all too little of you in the forums these days.

Since you have had time to respond here, I can only assume that some of the problems have been solved. That is good to know.

Lifey

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    Rod and Judy it's been way too long since we've heard from you. I need some more roadside marvels!

How was your summer?

Billy Bob's advice would be spot-on, if you were a newbie, but I happen to know that you are both veterans of the iron butt style of roadtripping, you're not anticipating doing this in the 'Vette I hope? Or do you still have that Jeepster?

I know you are both winter driving experts, but looking at the route -- yikes, lots of lake-effect snow systems -- I hit some bitterly cold weather in Springfield last January -- When are you planning on doing this?

Again great to hear from you -- and I think it's cool that a relatively new member is welcoming a couple of old timers like you to the Forum. I doubt anyone will be welcoming me anytime soon.

Mark
    Sorry if I stepped on someones toes but your right I am new to this forum & I don't know who is new or an old timer. I just found this forum a few weeks ago on a Good Sam site. However I am an old timer when it comes to road trips I have been driving around this great country for over 50 years & with a RV for the last 18 so I am an old timer in more ways than one. I think that this is a great forum for road trips I have enjoyed reading about all of your trips. I am back in Texas & won't be leaving except for short trips untill some time next spring. And Mark I will Welcome You to the forum too.

billy bob

Default Quite the opposite.

[Originally posted by Mark Sedenquist]

Billy Bob's advice would be spot-on

I think it's cool that a relatively new member is welcoming a couple of old timers like you to the Forum.
    billy bob, I can assure you that you haven't "stepped on any one's toes" and it's always nice to have new members offering help and advice to others, new and old alike. From your posts it's quite obvious you are an "old hand" when it comes to the road trips and your contributions are most welcome .

On that note, Welcome to RTA billy bob !

Dave.

Default Welcomings aside

Now that everyone has been properly welcomed....?

If you're heading over to Sault Ste Marie, I'd try to fit in either a stop at Pictured Rocks or the Shipwreck Museum. Although, keep in mind, there is an impressive amount of gravel roads in this part of the UP, which I loved in summer, wouldn't like quite as much in winter.

I loved the Lincoln Museum, and there is actually a large number of other things in Springfield to enjoy. Since the thread I linked to was created, I too can recommend the Cozy Dog as a nice place to grab lunch, although they aren't open on Sundays, so keep that in mind.

yeah Mark, its been a while.....
    Last winter we bought a 2001 Corvette convertable with under 3000 miles on it....so we were BUSY last summer.
    The trip we are planning now will be taken with my 4WD pickup, so a little snow won't bother us. Streets and trips tells me that our tentative route
    will be around 2600 miles. Thats under 300 miles a day average.
    No problem for us. If we run short of time we'll just turn right and head home.
    Our plan is to do this trip in January. Thats 10 days, and a lot of tourist stuff will be closed, so we should make it just fine. Michael, we've driven through and around the U.P. many times, so we've seen about everything there is to see there, but thanks for the input.

Rod
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 12-01-2009 at 06:44 AM. Reason: user request