Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default poor multitasking

Welcome to the RTA forum!

The simple fact is that cars make pretty darn poor beds. Sure, they will work in a pinch, and I suppose the larger the car, the more likely you are to have enough room, but really, unless you are a very small person, you're not going to be able to get very comfortable laid out on a bench seat, or reclining in a bucket seat. I've got a suv where I can fold down the back seat and stretch into the cargo area, and its still not something that is very comfortable.

If you go with a minivan or an SUV, you'd have a little more room, and that might work, although, if it were me, I'd take the extra money you'll spend for an larger car/suv/van and use it to just buy a motel room on the rare occation you can't find or don't feel like staying in a campground.

I can recommend late model Sebrings as being surprisingly very comfortable to sleep in...

Default reasonable

Well, that really is your own personal perference. If you're just one person, you could certainly go with an economy or compact car. Size really isn't an issue in your situation.

The bigger thing is that the larger car you get, the more features you'll get. For example, you usually won't find cruise control until you get into the intermediate class of car.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA forum!

I'd take the extra money you'll spend for an larger car/suv/van and use it to just buy a motel room on the rare occation you can't find or don't feel like staying in a campground.
    I would go with Midwest Michael's suggestion & use the extra money for a motel room when you don't stay in a campground

billy bob

Default Hostels.

Have you considered using a Hostel when possible. As the others have said getting a bigger car to "save money" could well be a false economy. If you are under 25 years old you will already be facing a hefty surcharge that is going to make a big hole in your budget.

Default that is correct

You are correct that all rental cars will have AC, and they will all have an Automatic Transmission regardless of what class you get.

I would give hostels some serious consideration. If you are going to be spending some of your time in cities, it can be a great way to stay in the heart of a city while getting a nights sleep for about the cost of a campsite. Its a great deal for a solo traveler, and while it is dorm style rooms, in the few times I've stayed in one, the rooms have been fairly empty and people have been respectful of people trying to sleep.

It might not be for you, but I'd give it some serious consideration and perhaps try one for a night before you rule out the possiblity.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    The bigger thing is that the larger car you get, the more features you'll get. For example, you usually won't find cruise control until you get into the intermediate class of car.
    Not sure how big intermediate class is, but I have always rented compacts, and each and every one (more than a dozen) I have rented in the USA since 2001, has always had cruise control, and all the features one expects in a modern car.

Quote Originally Posted by Wispfox View Post
    I have sufficient trouble sleeping, though, that I suspect that a Hostel would be a bad idea. I've considered it, repeatedly, but I would probably not sleep.
    May I suggest that you give it a go. You would be surprised how considerate folk who sleep at hostels, are. Just as they would expect you to be considerate of them. Often others have come in late at night, or left early in the morning, and I did not even hear.

True, there are some lower grade hostels, but you get to know which is which, and you can always ask to see the place before you commit. And if you have a negative experience at one, make sure it is a valuable lesson. It will teach you how to assess hostels for the future. Here is probably the best site on the internet for hostels, and be sure to read the reviews.

Hostels are not only a great way of saving on expenses, but mostly you get to meet other travellers who will happily share their stories with you, tell you about local points of interest, etc. (In most hotels your only company is a TV.)

Lifey who prefers hostels to any other accommodation

Default different experience

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Not sure how big intermediate class is, but I have always rented compacts, and each and every one (more than a dozen) I have rented in the USA since 2001, has always had cruise control, and all the features one expects in a modern car.
    All I can tell you is based on my experience, which is probably about a dozen cars as well from a variety of different companies, and every time I've rented an economy or compact car, it has been without cruise control, and I've been told specifically that you have to move up to a larger model to get it. The times I've been given or upgraded to a larger class, its had it.

The only thing I can guess is that you've either been upgraded frequently, or used companies that have had different policies, or may just gotten lucky! My experience is mostly with the lower cost chains (enterprise, budget, dollar, etc) and perhaps going with a higher end company like Hertz or Avis makes a difference?

Speaking of which, a little bit of a rental car oddity. Almost every "class" in a rental car is one size smaller than the typical classification.

For example, I'm looking at renting from Enterprise for an upcoming trip. They consider a Toyota Corolla and a Nissan Sentra to be a "midsized" while if you went to purchase one, they'd both be considered compacts. The Toyota Yaris and Nissan Versa, which are subcompact cars in the purchase market, are labeled as "compact" with the rental agency, and only the smallest of the small Chevy Aveo is considered an "economy" car.

Default Budget with unlimited miles

Michael, perhaps if I am a little more specific.

I have always rented from Budget, which I have always found to be the cheapest with unlimited miles. I do not recall the makes of all of the cars, and I do know that once I was upgraded.

The only cars I recall exactly are in 2004 a Camry which was replaced (after a minor mishap) with a Ford Taurus. Had it for 28 days, drove 6400 miles. The other was last October, when I rented a Camry to drive from SF to LA.

I do not have any experience with any other company, as I have been both happy with the service and cars from Budget, and have never found another company which equalled or beat their price.

Default that would do it

Well, both the Camry and the Taurus would be considered a Standard or Even Full Sized rental, so if that's about the size of the cars you've been given that would certainly explain why you've always had cruise control. I was upgraded to a Camry for one of my rentals, and I loved it, I was looking for an excuse to drive somewhere during the time I had it!

I've rented from Budget a time or two and haven't had any problems with them, but I pretty much always go with the lowest bidder, and end up with a different company for almost every trip.