1. Default San Diego to Denver during December

Hi,

Me, my wife, and two kids plan to make road trip from San Diego to Denver for some skiing and family get together for Christmas. I am most likely to drive during the whole trip. However, having no prior experience with driving in winter storms, I need advise on possible routes to take and the type of vehicle to use.

We would like to take time to visit places enroute and so alternate return route would be ideal.

We have Honda Odyssey equipped with GPS. Is this good enough?

Much appreciate!

Default basic options

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The most direct route is to take I-15 to I-70. Its about 1000 miles and can be done in 2 days in good conditions.

If you're looking for another route home, you could look at going down I-25 to Albuquerque and then either take I-40 all the way to California, or take I-40 to Flagstaff, and cut down to Phoenix via I-17 and AZ-85, and get on I-8 at Gila Bend Arizona.

Your car is just fine for winter travel on the interstates. If you have no experience driving in winter conditions, then you are better off waiting for road crews to do their jobs rather than expect to magically get through the conditions just because you have 4 wheel drive.

Quote Originally Posted by asunder View Post
    We have Honda Odyssey equipped with GPS. Is this good enough?
    Although the GPS can be handy at times, just make sure you have good detailed maps to back up, especially of urban areas. (If a member, AAA is a great source.) From my experience during my recent US trip, a brand new GPS took me to the wrong destination, to irrelevant territory, or the long way round, on far too many ocassions.

Lifey who relies on good paper maps
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 11-29-2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Removed link not viewable to the general membership

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Your car is just fine for winter travel on the interstates. If you have no experience driving in winter conditions, then you are better off waiting for road crews to do their jobs rather than expect to magically get through the conditions just because you have 4 wheel drive.
    Thanks very much feedback. Odyssey is a front wheel drive minivan. It would save us quite some amount if Odyssey is sufficient to make the trip through rockies via Utah. I am not sure if you are suggesting a 4 wheel drive. Can we use a snow chain instead of renting a 4 wheel drive.

Default neither

I'm saying that neither 4 wheel drive nor chains will be of much help if you don't know how to drive in winter conditions. They are great tools, but only if you know how to use them.

If you are on the interstates and either 4 wheel drive or chains are need, you'll be much better off simply waiting until plow crews have finished their jobs.

Whether you are experienced or not, if you are driving to ski country, you need to have chains with you. You may not be required to put them on, but you may be required to possess them in order to use certain roads. Walmarts in the San Diego area have them, I'd recommend "cable" chains - they are a lot easier to deal with than link chains and are cheaper.

Default Totally agreed, and............

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Whether you are experienced or not, if you are driving to ski country, you need to have chains with you. You may not be required to put them on, but you may be required to possess them in order to use certain roads. Walmarts in the San Diego area have them, I'd recommend "cable" chains - they are a lot easier to deal with than link chains and are cheaper.
    ..........by ALL means, take some time in the sunny, warm confines of your Sou Cal driveway to practice putting the cable-chains on. You should then amuse your friends with an around-the-block test drive to assure you've installed them properly. No, extensive dry-pavement driving is not advised with cable-chains, and perhaps it's not wise to do it whatsoever (I've had 4WD since 1973 so have only experience with old-style chains). In any event, roadside in Utah during a snow squall is not the place to first "open the box".

I have the great pleasure of skiing the Park City, UT area each year and can tell you the DOT folks there, and in CO, are the "Pros from Dover" and you're not likely to experience great delays in getting through.

Last word: Both the Utah and Colorado DOTs offer extensive webcam networks. Utah's can be found by googling "Utah Commuterlink" and Colorado's is linked there. I recall Utah has cams on I-15 and I-70 into Colorado, and Colorado's network along I-70 is extensive. If you're in position to have web access along the way, you can readily "look ahead" for actual real-time road conditions, both in text and photo form.

Enjoy planning and taking your RoadTrip!

Foy

Cable chains have the same common-sense speed limit as link chains - 25, maybe 30 mph - and should not be driven on dry pavement except maybe around the block at 10 mph to test them.