Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Kansas to San Diego, CA in March

We're planning an 10-day road trip in Mid-March from Wichita, KS to San Diego, CA. We want to stop at the Grand Canyon and Disneyland. Other than that we are flexible!

We'd like to take a different route back home for a little change of scenery.

We'll be traveling with our 2 kids, ages 5 (girl) and 8 (boy.)

Looking for suggestions on which path to take there and back, maybe even a sample itenerary??

Thanks!

Default looping

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The most straight forward way to Southern California is to take I-40, which is the way you'd want to go to the Grand Canyon anyway.

For a different route back, you could look at taking I-15 and I-70 up through Las Vegas, Utah, and Colorado, doubling back south to get home to Wichita. That would take you within a short detour of more than a half dozen national park, and across the heart of the Rocky Mountains.

Another option, if you were thinking about going to San Diego and maybe stopping at the Zoo, you could go back across on I-8/I-10 through Southern Arizona, and then cut back up on US-54, going past White Sands, and take that all the way home.

You do need to note, however, that both of those add some miles and you don't have a whole lot of extra time as it is right now. You're looking at 3 days of driving each way, so if you already have days planned for Disney and Grand Canyon, then you're going to have to budget the rest of your time carefully.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Originally I was going to suggest coming back through Las Vegas and on to Denver, but March can be a tricky time of year to travel due to weather concerns.

You could take a more Southerly trip back towards home, sticking along the I-8 to I-10 corridor and giving you different scenery than perhaps what you would find along the I-40 path.

What kinds of things are you interested in?

We're big history buffs, so anything like that is great. We enjoy national parks and getting out and seeing spectacular scenery (although not into hiking, rafting, etc.) For example, we did the Badlands in SD and had a great time exploring around there.

I-70 over the Rocky Mountains would be AWESOME since I love the mountains, but I would be a bit nervous to do that during mid-March since there's a good possibility of snow and/or ice.

Default options

Well, I would certainly recommend a stop at the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert, which is also right along I-40.

Personally, I wouldn't discount I-70 just because there is a chance of snow/ice. Realistically, the roads are clear the vast majority of the time. You should also note that in mid-march, I-40 is at enough of an elevation where you can see winter weather through New Mexico and Arizona.

If you do decide to go through Southern Arizona, you'd have Saguaro National Park, the Sonora Desert Museum, and Tombstone as a few things that would see to fit with your interests.

Don't discount US-400/US-50/CO-10/US-160 to Durango and points west. It's actually not much slower than taking the Interstate. I took that way back from the west coast around the 1st of March last year, and I made it from Durango to Dodge City easily in one day, and I was through Wichita around lunchtime the next day.

In fact, if you do decide to take I-40, take 400 and 54 to get there, don't go the long way through OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    In fact, if you do decide to take I-40, take 400 and 54 to get there, don't go the long way through OKC.
    I was wondering about that. Google maps has it taking about 3 hours longer than yahoo maps, bing and mapquest. Google is the only one who suggests taking the long way through OKC. I think our goal for the first day is to get from Wichita to Albuquerque. Would going thru Dodge City be faster than taking the toll road south through OKC then west thru Amarillo?

My mapping software says that you will save just over 100 miles by taking 400 and 54, and the drive time is about the same. However, driving that many miles in one day will pretty much negate any sightseeing except for very short stops either way you go. You may want to look at Tucumcari or Sata Rosa for your first night, they both have adequate reasonably priced hotels. You can make the Grand Canyon from any of those 3 cities in one day, I'd say that Santa Rosa may be the best compromise, and I've stayed in the Super 8 there - it's decent for a Super 8.

We're not too concerned about sightseeing the first day since we've already been all over OK and TX, and if there's anything there we're dying to see we can just take a little weekend trip later.

We're considering leaving Wednesday evening after my DH gets out of school, around 4:30pm. That would mean some driving after dark the first day of the trip, but like I said we're not too worried about missing anything in our neck of the woods anyway. So that would put us in Santa Rosa around midnight.

If you are not leaving till 4:30pm, Sata Rosa is pushing it. That's a 600 mile trip via I-35 and I-40 and a 475 mile trip via 400/54/40. You won't get in till WELL after midnight and that's not a good way to start off a trip. What do you do late at night out in the middle of nowhere when the kids wake up and say "Mommy, I gotta go potty!"