Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blurb.com

Default blurb.com

Has anyone any experience with creating your own books using the software downloadable from blurb.com? I've had the software on my laptop for almost a year since I got back from my big trip but have only just got round to using it in the last couple of days. It is a great piece of kit and it's been really great to relive some of my experiences as I start creating the book but I am suffering with the laptop slowing to a crawl and dying every hour or so. I am only twenty pages in and I am worried that, by the time I get to page 200 or whatever, the software is going to take so much memory that I won't be able to finish the book without upgrading to a new laptop. Has anyone had any experience with larger book projects? Do you think it'll end in tears and frustration?

Default Leaky??

I've not used it but it sounds like you are not the only person to experience this issue, which leads me to believe there is a fundamental flaw in the engineering of this software.

Here and here are links I found where others are using this application having the same problem as you are. The PDF option sounds like it may be viable, however. I know OpenOffice has built-in export to PDF capabilities on each platform.

Damn, that's frustrating to hear. I was actually starting to enjoy putting the book together. I guess I will carry on for a while and see if it gets any worse...

Hopefully it'll work out as it'll be fantastic to have a record of my travels and I figured I'd give a copy to my folks for Christmas too.

Default We may provide such a service in the near term

We've been looking at software that would enable roadtrippers to create hardback, "heritage" books about their trips. A variety of companies are entering this market as well. I don't know about blurb.com, and it doesn't sound like you really want to switch as this point, but I'll post recommendations for some of the better services out there.

Mark

That'll be great. No, I really don't want to change, and it's unlikely I will, but it'll be interesting to see what else is out there.

Craig, I am using Publisher, without any problems... pages in the hundred. Inserting pictures and charts is really simple. (Let's face it, it has to be for me to be able to do it. lol)

I use Publisher 97. It has many features I enjoy using which the subsequent releases do not have.

Lifey who will get it all done . . . . . one day

Maybe sometime I will try that if I give up on blurb's software. But, I suspect, if I do give up I'll not be interested in starting all over again! :)

Who do you use to print your books when you make them out of interest? Do you get it done locally or online?

Default Bridges

I rarely think of constructing a bridge, till I get to the water.

In other words, I will think about that when I get to it.... could be many many years away yet..... considering I have been on it for many years.

Ah, see, that is what made the blurb.com idea seem perfect for me... cos in the unlikely event I ever finished putting a book together with something like Publisher I'd never get round to having someone print the thing. Bit like the big world atlas I got for my birthday in June... still needs me to take it into town and have a frame made!

Will definitely be interested in hearing about the other alternatives still - even if I don't use them it will be an interesting reference for anyone else looking to produce a similar record of their travels.

Just an update: I am now on page 75 of text and photos and, so long as I shut down and reboot my laptop every couple of hours, it is still going strong. I am terrified what happens at the end when you need to upload the thing though... god, if my internet connection dies midway I'm gonna cry!