1. Default NY to LA in October - 2010

Hai Drive Gurus,

Came across this site while researching for my US trip next year, this is an awesome resource for plannig a trip, hats off to the contributors and mods here.

Planning a C2C in October, 2010 from NY to LA, some questions remain:

1.Me and wife can take off 5th to 28th Oct, 2010, can stretch this to 25 days max. Just finished 2700 kms of Europe last month and UK end to end and lake district in between, 3380 kms inside UK. Have done most of the drives in India, so we're two petro-heads and love it.

Seriously thinking of US C2C, want to follow what's suggested by one poster already:

New York > Washington DC > Pittsburgh, PA > Chicago, IL > Omaha NB > Denver CO > Albequerque NM > Grand Canyon AZ > Las Vegas NV > Los Angeles CA.

Looks fine to us, have some friends on the way and can stay with them. Have found that the one way drops with Enterprse, Europe Car , Avis are all around 1000$, total rental pipping the 3K $ mark, expensive, but I don't see a way around that. Yes, there are round trip alternatives as suggested here, but that would stretch to 6K miles and may be 35-40 days, a trade off has to be made. Now the questions:

1. Found that 2009 October had the lowest temperatures across US with early snowfall, the earliest in history for a long time with white-outs in many places. Assuming 2010 would follow suit, how would driving conditions be in US during October. Have done some snow driving in Himalayas not not much on the plains and long-distance. And what are the normal driving October conditions on the above route if snow falls start at normal times?? Lots of questions.......but please..... important for us to decide.

2. Would an Indian with a tourist visa for the duration of the tour, valid Indian Driving Permit in English and an International Driving Permit be able to drive in all states of the US? Heard that Nevada needs a US licence ???? Not Sure?? Any other states need US diriving permits for a tourist? The car rental agencies seem to be OK with my licences, we did OK in Europe and UK with our Indian Licence and IDP.

3. What is the other best time for a C2C drive in US? If October is going to be a big problem than we can explore some time earlier which is not the touristy season.

Thanks in advance to all the US Drive Gurus here.

Fargo.

=======

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Okay lets have a look.

1] Yes, this October saw record breaking low temps in parts of the country for the time of year, but they were records. I love to travel at this time of year as the crowds are gone, the Fall colors are amazing and usually day time temps are "nice" for walking and sight seeing. I was actually travelling in Colorado this October and it was cold at elevation, we saw snow but it didn't disrupt our plans and that included Mountain passes, Oh did I mention we were in a 30ft RV, Lol !

2] You will be fine with the licences you have.

3] See answer 1. Nobody can predict what might happen next year but personally I would travel between mid Sept and mid October, but that's me.

There is no harm in checking out other peoples routes as a guide but you should get a good map of the USA and search the forums for inspiration and to find things that appeal to you. It's possible to drive across the country in 5 or 6 days so you have a nice amount of time to do some sight seeing.

Enjoy the forums and if you have any other specific questions as you plan your trip just ask.

Default bad assumptions

I agree with Dave pretty much across the board.

October is generally speaking my favorite month to travel, and this year didn't change that. Yes this year did see record cold in many places, but record cold in October still at worst means you're going to see conditions that are more reflective of averages in late november or december, not like the worst of the worst winter months.

And of course, as Dave mentioned, these were record setting conditions, which by definition means it was an outlier. Simply put, unusual weather in one given year does not mean that the climate has dramatically changed. It should also be noted that while October was unusually cool in many parts of the US, November has been unusually warm - so anything can happen with the weather.

International Driving rules are governed by Treaties, not by individual state law. Unless you're planning to take up residency and purchase a car, your Indian drivers license will be valid throughout the US and Canada.

4. Default

Hai Michael and Dave,

Thaks a lot for that valuable input.

It's re-assuring to see that October would be OK and a relief to hear that our licences would be OK for the purpose of travel. Just ordered the "Big Road Atlas USA 2009 Map' on e-bay; the one we picked up from AA for UK was a gem; combined with Tom Tom, it was all we needed for navigations and calculations.

Yes, the fall colours in Europe and UK was mind-blowing, no other time like this to travel; looking forward to the US season. Heard they are more flaming yellows, organges and reds!!!!

Shaking the bottle with many combinations including a round trip option starting and endin with Chicago. Any inputs on how one can swing a round trip touching both coast in 4 weeks and also throw in some sight seeing in between? Considering it would be around 6k miles, would that be a mad dash with just whistle-stops???

Fargo

=======

Default Whistle stop but no mad dash.

Quote Originally Posted by fargo View Post
    Hai Michael and Dave,

Yes, the fall colours in Europe and UK was mind-blowing, no other time like this to travel; looking forward to the US season. Heard they are more flaming yellows, organges and reds!=
    They certainly are ! I am from the UK, but Fall in the US is something else, even the skies have more colour somehow !

Any inputs on how one can swing a round trip touching both coast in 4 weeks and also throw in some sight seeing in between? Considering it would be around 6k miles, would that be a mad dash with just whistle-stops???
    I think 6000 miles is a bit light, from Chicago to San Fran to LA to Jacksonville NC to New York and Chicago is about 6600 miles by the most direct route according to my mapping program. By the time you start taking in detours to City's and National parks etc that could easily rise to 7500 miles.
    I wouldn't say it would be a mad dash but you won't have a lot of "down time" so it depends on the pace you want to set yourself.

To help with your planning we don't usually recommend travelling more than 5-600 miles a day that could see you on the road for 9 to 10 hours with time for only short breaks for food, bathroom breaks and filling up with gas. With 7500 miles to cover [as an example] it would mean that for every day you spent in one place, would equal one full days driving, or 4-5 hours driving every day. This isn't "set in stone" but should give you an idea of the task ahead and help you to decide what will work, but if you are happy to spend half your time on the road and half sight seeing it could work in a "whistle stop" type of way.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    ........... By the time you start taking in detours to City's and National parks etc that could easily rise to 7500 miles.

I wouldn't say it would be a mad dash but you won't have a lot of "down time" so it depends on the pace you want to set yourself.

................. With 7500 miles to cover [as an example] it would mean that for every day you spent in one place, would equal one full days driving, or 4-5 hours driving every day. This isn't "set in stone" but should give you an idea of the task ahead and help you to decide what will work, but if you are happy to spend half your time on the road and half sight seeing it could work in a "whistle stop" type of way.
    Thanks again for those insights.

That calls for a huddle and review of 4-5 hours driving every day. We can handle 7K Miles and 4-5 hours daily, but need to plan on what to see and examine options one by one. It would be a shame we we miss out on the important ones having come half-way acrosss the globe. The pot is sizzling away, darting back to put some more ideas into it..... Tally-ho to the table.