Default British Columbia Info Needed (Alaska trip)

I know this is Road Trip America but I am planning a trip to Hyder, Alaska and B.C. is in the way:)
    I am planning on doing this trip on a motorcycle the second week of July.

My route into Canada will start in Washington state and will include hwy 97, 16, 37 and 37a.

My planned gas stops are the cities of Hope, Cache Creek, Williams Lake, Prince George, Burns Lake, Kitwanga and Stewart.
    I haven't found a gas station in Hyder.

I'm looking for any info on road conditions and gas stops. Is Kitwanga the last place to get gas before Stewart?
    Weather conditions in B.C. in early July?

My destination, Hyder!

Default It's Still America

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You'll be driving one of the very few routes to Alaska that is NOT covered in the Milepost, but still there is information available on road conditions throughout BC here and here. GasBuddy lists prices for stations in BC and has a search function as well. From the looks of it, Hyder may not have a gas station, and GasBuddy does not list any, so refueling your bike may involve international travel.

AZBuck

Default Did you forget our mission statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin' View Post
    I know this is Road Trip America
    Tsk. Tsk. RoadTrip America provides road trip planning and advice for the entire North American continent, which means, all of USA, all of Mexico, all of Canada, all of Greenland, which is why there's an article about roadtripping in Greenland on the site. And just in case you've forgotten this resource....(74 lists of places to visit, thus far)

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You'll be driving one of the very few routes to Alaska that is NOT covered in the Milepost, but still there is information available on road conditions throughout BC here and here. GasBuddy lists prices for stations in BC and has a search function as well. From the looks of it, Hyder may not have a gas station, and GasBuddy does not list any, so refueling your bike may involve international travel.

AZBuck
    Thank you! The links will be helpful.

No B.C. members? Has anyone driven (ridden) that route to Hyder?

Thank you! The links will be helpful.

No B.C. members? Has anyone driven (ridden) that route to Hyder?
    In 2004 I drove from Seattle to Alaska, via 99, 97, 16, and 37. At Meziadan Corner I turned onto 37A for about three or four miles, to the glacier, which comes almost to the road, and then continued up 37 to the Yukon and the Alaska Highway.

The Sea to Sky highway (99) was particularly memorable with so many points of interest, short hikes to glaciers and glacier lakes, waterfalls, etc., and interesting places like Lilooet, Whistler and Squamish, that, as I recall, it took me some four days from Seattle to Cache Creek.

The things which stand out - without going back and finding my photos and notes - was the cost of the primitive campground just south of the corner, and the number of sections of roadworks on the Cassiar (37).

Lifey who has good memories of that trip

Default town choices?

hey there
    i live in BC and am familiar with most of the province, yet i'm unfamiliar with some of the choices of towns you picked. Was there a specific reason you wanted to go to these specific places?

i understand that's probably the fastest route up there, but you might be interested in taking the I5 into Canada from Seattle... the I5 turns into HWY 99... You can stay on that highway through Vancouver (but it turns into Oak street as you get into the city.)

Continuing that way, you could reconnect with the 99 by taking the Granville St. Bridge into downtown vancouver, taking the Seymour exit and following Seymour along to Georgia. If you take a left on Georgia you'll be on the route that goes through Stanley Park, over the Lion's Gate Bridge, an dinto North vancouver, where it turns back into HWY99.

This highway is the Sea to Sky Highway and is known for it's picturesque views of the gulf Islands. This route also goes up through Whistler, to Pemberton and connects with HWY 97 just after Cache Creek.

If you do decide to go the Hope route, you might be interested in stopping in kamloops.. which is one of our faster growing cities along with kelowna, both located in the Okanagan region and are beautiful in the summer.

Unforntuantely once you get further north i'm not that familiar with the roads as i've never driven up as high as Prince George before...

If you have any questions that i might be able to answer, i'd be happy to help you! Enjoy your trip through Beautiful BC :)

Thanks all for the info.
    Yes, my route is based on the shortest way to get to Hyder.
    The cities were picked so that the gas stops would be 120 to 160 miles apart.

I am looking forward to this trip. B.C. looks like a beautiful area.

Default weather

as for the weather you should expect to see in early July.. it should be warm and dry most of the way... if not very hot and very dry, especially inland through the thompson okanagon regions, since they fall in a rain shadow, they get very hot and dry in summer and very cold and wet in winter...

The closer you are to the coast, the cooler and wetter it gets... however for the time you picked, you should *cross your fingers* see very little rain if any, and experience temperatures in the low to mid 20s (that's celcius) Further inland you can get as high as mid to high 30s so be prepared for a plethora of weather conditions

Yes, my route is based on the shortest way to get to Hyder.
    The cities were picked so that the gas stops would be 120 to 160 miles apart.
    Along highway 99, 97 and 16 you will never go anywhere near 100 miles between the availability of fuel. The longest could possibly be along 37, though there is fuel available at Meziadan Corner. Kitwanga to the corner is just under 100 miles.

It seems that there is a perception that these areas are very remote, whereas in reality, they carry a lot of traffic, and have many fuel stops along the way.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by coast View Post
    as for the weather you should expect to see in early July.. it should be warm and dry most of the way... if not very hot and very dry, especially inland through the thompson okanagon regions, since they fall in a rain shadow, they get very hot and dry in summer and very cold and wet in winter...

The closer you are to the coast, the cooler and wetter it gets... however for the time you picked, you should *cross your fingers* see very little rain if any, and experience temperatures in the low to mid 20s (that's celcius) Further inland you can get as high as mid to high 30s so be prepared for a plethora of weather conditions
    Thank you!
    I am hoping for warm and dry but I do try to prepare for a little of everything.