1. Default NYC via Asheville to Tucson with kids

My husband and I are planning on driving to Tucson from NYC at the end of December. We need to stop over in Asheville first and then on to Tucson. I'm looking for an easy route (good weather) and some attractions to entertain the kids who are 6 and 4. My husband wants to do the trip in 5 days but I'm willing to add a day or 2 if we can find some fun stopovers to make the whole trip more entertaining. I've also done the really long and boring drive thru Texas (30 to 20 to 10) and would love to avoid that again if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Tucson, AZ

Default No Biggie

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

At your children's ages, it's not really necessary to make major stops to keep them entertained. For the most part, they'll be just as happy running around the many state parks and other small attractions along the way. And as we say in many of our responses to questions about trips in the winter, going farther south is no guarantee of better driving conditions. You'll just have to pick a route on the basis of the weather predicted for your time of travel, and you can only get that a day or two ahead. So to be better prepared, you should plan two different routes. Besides the I-40/I-30/I-20/I-10 route, you can stay on I-40 all the way to Amarillo and then use I-27/US-60/US-70 to I-10 at Las Cruces, NM. That's actually my preferred routing.

Joplin MO

I doubt that I-40 will be reopened at the NC/TN state line by then.

There are a few ways to proceed from Asheville, and all of them will be at least 3 1/2 full days of driving. My mapping program shows this as the fastest considering a detour:

Get off I-40 at Lake Junaluska, take US-74 to Cleveland TN, then I-75 to Chattanooga and I-24 to Nashville. Take I-40 to Albuquerque, then south on I-25 to Hatch NM, then NM-26 to Deming NM, and I-10 to Tucson. If I-40 is reopened, just take that through Knoxville and points west.

The other main option would be I-26 and US-25 out of Asheville to Greeneville, then I-85/I-20/I-10. The downside to this, other than your desire for something different, would be dealing with metro Atlanta and DFW.