1. Default DE to LA: 7 days

Planning a trip from 12/16-12/23. I'm thinking of either taking I-40 or I-70. I hear I-70 is really cold around this time so I'm leaning towards taking I-40. Suggestions or thoughts?

So far on our agenda:
    Grand Canyon

It's only a start, I don't know what else there is to see along the way. Any attractions that are a must see?
    Last edited by joos129; 11-22-2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: added links

Green County, Wisconsin

Default its cold there too

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Since you want to visit the Grand Canyon, I-40 is probably the better choice. However, you should know that I-40 can get quite cold too, and does see its share of snow and ice. The Grand Canyon, at an elevation of about 8,000 is also a place that can be quite chilly in the winter.

We really don't believe in generic "must sees" there are a million things that could fit that bill, depending upon your personal interest. What sorts of things are you interested in?

Tucson, AZ

Default YoUDee to the Big Mouse

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

When I made my first trip from the First State to the west coast I took the I-81/I-40 route for a number of reasons, not the least of which was the chance to see the Appalachians. Certainly if the Grand Canyon is a priority, then the I-40 route is preferred since the North Rim will be closed. If this is your first major cross-country trip, then everything will be new and you can just relax and enjoy the whole RoadTrip scene. We don't believe in specific 'must see' destinations as they will differ with each individual, but places you should consider visiting include Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Hot Springs National Park, the Oklahoma City Memorial, Petroglyph National Monument and Petrified Forest National Park. Note that taking the 'southern' route is no guarantee of good weather. You could well see snow sleet or ice along this route (Note that Flagstaff and the southern rim of the Grand Canyon are at an elevation of 7000-8000 feet.) and you may just have to sit out a bit until the crews clear the roads. But you do have a day or two more than the minimum number of days required for the tip, so try to hold that time in reserve should you need it.

4. Default

Thanks for the input! Grand canyon is definately high on the priority list, so sounds like taking the I-40 is a better option. I realize taking this road can get cold, but at least it will be warmer than I-70. This is my first major cross-country trip and I am going with one other person. I'm interested in seeing some live music, sporting events (nba or nfl), national parks, and beautiful scenery. However, I don't want to limit myself to just going to concerts, sporting events, or national parks. I want to see the best of America.