Thread: 2010 Road Trip

Default 2010 Road Trip

Good evening everyone from a very wet and windy UK.

Firstly many thanks for the site, I have found it a great help in planning my project which will be my first visit to USA. I have bought "Road Trip USA" by Jamie Jensen and this has also been a great help to me. My bare bone plan at the moment (and it does seem to change day to day) is :-

Fly in to the west coast(possibly Washington), spring 2010 and pick up a small van type RV, (I will be on my own). Drive east along US-20 (The Oregon Trail) visiting many of the National Parks and sights noted in the book, on the way.

Turn south at US-83 (Road to Nowhere) until it meets up with Route 66, then head back west to Hollywood with a detour to Las Vegas & area for a few days. Then follow the Pacific Coast back up north to my original starting point.

I have estimated this trip to be around 5000 miles and allowed 20 days for travel plus a further 10 days for scheduled and unscheduled stops. Time is not that important for me as I am on my own and retired. Fortunetly expense is also not critical (obviously within reason).
    I have considered the Motel and B & B option but the RV will give me the flexability I need. As a retired Driving Instructor and advanced motorists, I do love driving and watching breathtaking panorama come into view.I will be buying a good guide to USA camp & RV sites closer to the date.

As a Welsh man, singing is in my blood, so one attraction on the route would be Karaoke venues every now and then to get my weekly fix (I will be singing to myself most of the way) ?

Your views on the enclosed would be appreciated and please feel free to offer constructive criticism. Many thanks in anticipation of any input.

Default We could use a little more wet over here

Quote Originally Posted by Huw View Post
    Good evening everyone from a very wet and windy UK
    Parts of the USA have been quite wet and windy, but not much in quite a spell in Las Vegas -- Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    Turn south at US-83 (Road to Nowhere)
    This is one of the few meridian highways I don't recall having driven on myself yet.
    I have considered the Motel and B & B option but the RV will give me the flexability I need.
    OK, looks like you've thought out the options pretty well -- it will be more expensive to use the RV, of course, but it might be a good match for you. Although you can find small-footprint rental RV's most of what is available is the larger Class C. Speaking of which, you might enjoy reading some of Southwest Dave's holiday report of his recent journey in a class C in Colorado. It starts here and has some extraordinary photos.
    As a Welsh man, singing is in my blood, so one attraction on the route would be Karaoke venues every now and then to get my weekly fix (I will be singing to myself most of the way) ?
    There are some extraordinary options for that in Las Vegas -- but many small towns offer Karaoke, so I think you'll have ample opportunity for that.

Your timing sounds about right -- what budget are you allowing for this adventure? The one big variable is the weather -- early spring could still have plenty of snow sitting on the ground at the parks.

Mark

Default don't limit yourself

I would strongly recommend that you open your considerations for your trip far beyond the 10 ideas that Jamie suggests.

Roadtrip USA is filled with lots of great information and idea, but it also does "trick" people into thinking that those 10 routes are the only (or even the best) routes for a roadtrip. To me, a roadtrip is much more about the places you want to go than just following a single road or an outline that someone else has provided. I think you'll get much more out of your trip, if you take the places in Jamie's book as a starting point for some of your potential places, but not the end all be all.

I will also note that the route names, such as Oregon Trail or Road to Nowhere, are pretty much unique to that book/website. If you ask people to find the "oregon trail" when looking for US-20, 99% of people won't know what you are talking about (especially since US-20 doesn't come close to following the historical Oregon trail used by the early explorers for most of its length)

Default That book...

That book (the first printing) was one of the first that I purchased when I first became serious about doing long road trips. It offers some good tips for the uninitiated but as Michael said, it shouldn't be your only source of information.

There are many other interesting roads out in the area you will be traveling and sticking to these routes based on a single source would be to miss a lot of great opportunities. For example, you miss Colorado in its entirety. You may want to check out Denver or other parts of the Rocky Mountains.

5. Default

Fly in to the west coast(possibly Washington), spring 2010 and pick up a small van type RV, (I will be on my own). Drive east along US-20 (The Oregon Trail) visiting many of the National Parks and sights noted in the book, on the way.

Welcome to the USA If the van type Rv is selfcontained you will open up many areas that you can stay. Attached are a few web-sites that will be of help on an RV type Road Trip. www.goodsamclub.com The Good Sam Club is the largest RV & Camping Club in the USA Most of their online services are free but a member ship only cost $30 a year. www.nps.gov/parks.htmi This is the Nat Parks Site you can check out any Nat. Park that you are interested in. www.freecampsites.net This site lists hundreds of Campgrounds that are free are under $ 10 a night. Listed are small town parks to Nat Forest & BLM Campgrounds and a lot in between. Enjoy your RV Road Trip
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 11-24-2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Fixed link format

From my experience, joining clubs like Goodsam, KOA or even YHA is not such a good idea. Even on a trip many months long, I have never saved enough to recoup the cost of joining these clubs.

For one thing, it starts you focusing on places where these organisations have establishments, which may not be exactly where you had initially wanted to go. And there are probably perfectly respectable places at your preferred destination.

Secondly, even if your preferred destination has one of these establishments, there are often other campgrounds just as good, and frequently quite a bit cheaper. Most independently run campgrounds cannot afford the costly membership these organisations charge.

I would just check around when you get to your destination, unless you are going somewhere where there is a large event which has taken all the accommodation.

And if the worst comes to the worst, and everything is full up, most truck stops have areas allocated for RV parking without hookups. Many have dump stations. They also have restaurants, bathrooms, and showers for a small charge.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 11-24-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: added link