Default Daughter and Mum Roadtrip, tips and advice please!

Hi there!
    I was wondering if any of you could give us some advice.
    We're from the UK and are hopefully planning a roadtrip around America next summer.
    We're totally new to this roadtrip experience and this is the first step I've taken in trying to organise it.
    We don't know where to go or what to see and would love to hear suggestions of great places and routes.
    We're pretty easy with where we're going; we love crafts, art, theatre and quirky places; all that sort of stuff.
    We're not really big fans of long hikes or sports.
    My mum wants to end up/start in/go through California so that needs to be somewhere on our route.
    We stayed in and around New Hampshire for quite a while a couple of years ago so are looking for new places to go in a different area!
    Where's good to stay/to eat/to visit??
    Also, we were wondering if there is an age restriction for driving? I'm 20 and will be 21 when we take the trip.
    Is it easy to hire a car if you're not from the US? Will it cost a fortune?
    I don't really know what else to ask. We're total novices that like the idea of road-tripping this amazing country!

I'm not really sure how this website works (I've only just registered) reply on here!

I want to make this a roadtrip to remember :)

[Removed e mail address Use this thread to ask all questions regarding this trip, Thank you
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 11-18-2009 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Removed e mail address

South of England.

Default Research.

Hello Laura, welcome to the RTA forums !

At this point we are not going to be able to make any meaningful suggestions as to where you might want to go, especially when it comes down to places to eat and sleep as there are a million and one things to see and do, which could not be seen in a lifetime.

What you really need to do is get a good map of the USA and start studying places that are of interest to you. You don't say how long you have either, but some of the most popular trips on here usually start in California from San Francisco or Los Angeles. Las Vegas in Nevada is also a popular destination, a loop trip could include California, Grand canyon and/or National parks in Utah, Arizona and Colorado offering a whole range of fantastic landscapes and towns. You will find lots of info throughout the forums and road trip planning pages by typing key words into the search engine.

I am not suggesting an RV for your trip but you might find some of these tips useful to get started and if California is a must take a look for some great suggestions here.

When you have a basic itinerary worked out we will be able to help out much more with the details, so start researching and keep asking questions as and when you need to.

It is straight forward to rent a car in the US, however because of your age there would be a hefty surcharge for drivers under the age of 25 years old.

Enjoy the planning !

3. Default

Hi Laura glad that you & your mum are planing a trip to America. So first let me welcome you & hope you have a great time on your road trip. I agree with Southwest Dave get a good map and decide where you want to go & how long your stay will be then we can make some suggestions about what there is to see & do in the area that you are going to be in

billy bob

Melbourne, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by laurajo View Post

I want to make this a roadtrip to remember :)
    Hi Laura,

I know exactly how you feel. Before my first trip to the USA - for my son's wedding - I was totally ignorant about the place. I was not even aware of how to find this sort of information on the internet. That was in 2001.

Having to go half way around the globe for a wedding, I was determined I was going to see the place, besides just going to the wedding.

As a senior solo female, equiped with a US road atlas, I chose a region and hit the road, and came upon the most amazing sites, almost everywhere I went.

Don't be tempted to over-plan - relax and enjoy wherever you are, when you are there.

Lifey who will never forget that trip

Default Mother + Daughter Roadtrip

I posted on this a while ago but I can't find the post so I thought I'd start again!
    My mother and I are planning a Roadtrip for August. We're thinking between 4-6 weeks depending on how long it'll take to get around.

The route we are thinking is vaguely New York- Pittsburg- Chicago- Indianapolis- Cincimati- Nashville- Washington DC- Baltimore- Philadelphia- New York.

So flying to and from New York.

We want to drive and couchsurf/stop off to sleep along the way.
    We both enjoy shopping, craft, music and interesting and fun things to do!

Just wanting your thoughts on the plans really and where's good to go/see/stay/eat as we don't really know what we're doing!
    Also, I'll be 21 at the time and will have had my license for only a few months. Can I drive? What are the laws on such things?
    Last edited by AZBuck; 01-05-2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Merged post with original discussion of this trip

Tucson, AZ

Default Some General Hints and Places to Start

First off, I like that you have chosen a general area that most tourists, especially those from abroad, would not think of. For that reason alone, you should be able to get a better feel for the 'real America' (whatever that is) than if you had gone to one of the more overrun vacation spots. I think it's best at this point for you to take some time and peruse these pages. You can start by following some of the links to 'Similar Threads' at the bottom of most discussions (but not of this one, I note). Or take a look at some listings of what's available by state or by highway. Another great source of info is to just do a web search on {statename tourism OR attraction}. You can also do searches for regional info if you know that the regions you will be traveling through are known as the Midwest and Appalachia. Especially in Appalachia, you should be on the lookout for craft fairs, folk art exhibitions, state and county fairs and the like. Finally, I can give you no better advice but the oft repeated "Inquire locally". As you travel, be sure to stop at welcome centers, visitor/tourist information centers, or just ask the random person on the street for help. They will all know their area far better than I do, and will be happy to direct you to the best they have to offer.

Oh, and yes you can drive at 21, but there will probably be a rather stiff surcharge on your car rental price to do so. So be sure to check with the car hire firm for details on this (and insurance) before you commit to any contract. You might be able to do better by setting this up in the UK before coming over. But as far as legalities, your UK drivers license will be perfectly valid here and since it is in English, you will not need an international drivers license.

Last edited by AZBuck; 01-06-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Added bit about driving