Default New York - Niagara - New York 6 days May 2010

I last used the Roadtrip USA Forum in preparation for a 3 1/2 week trip from LA-SanDiego-Mesa Verde-Arches-Death Valley-Big Sur plus all the absolutely fantasic sights and experiences in between during 2008. We loved our Road Trip!
    April May 2010 we are again heading to your great country but on the east coast. After 5-6 days in New York (which we hope will be long enough) we are getting a car for about 5 -6 days (wish it was a nother 3 1/2 week trip!) and want to do a loop up to Niagara and back to JFK.
    I know there are a few other trip forums covering the area but any ideas on the best possible loop trip would be really useful to us two Kiwis (from New Zealand). During our last trip, everything was great - we are planning another longer trip a few years out with a group of friends who have never been to the USA - we have convinced them they would love it. But for now - any ideas/suggestions for our 5-6 day look will be eagerly awaited. Many thanks
    NZPadre

Default Welcome back

Glad to hear the forums were so helpful on your previous trip.

New York presents some good opportunities for a loop trip. Here's a general route that should fit within your timeframe, and you won't have to spend a lot of time driving, either. Loop is about 1100 miles, figure in an appropriate buffer and you're still looking at only 1300 miles total.

From NYC, head up to the Adirondacks, spending a day or two among the mountains.

From there, off to the Finger Lakes region West of Syracuse. Here, you'll see much different landscape than that of the mountains. Central New York along the I-90 corridor is primarily farm country, with much flatter landscape.

Off to Niagara, then from there head along the Southern Tier Expressway (I-86/NY-17) for yet another change of scenery. This will take you by the Catskill region, which is a popular retreat for city dwellers during the warmer months.