Default Midwestern road trip

Hi everyone! I am trying to see if I can plan a road trip in March (if that doesn't happen in might be pushed to summer time.) I'm not really sure how much time we will have. I'd love to have a week but my husband will be in school so I'm not really sure if he'll be able to take off that long. We live in Central Indiana so we'll obviously be leaving from here. I'm looking to probably travel around the mid-west and down to the south a bit. No stops in Indiana though because we've been everywhere!

I'm looking for some more well known stops as it's our first trip like this. I'm 20 (but March I will be 21 which is why we're shooting for then) and he is 26.

Default Help Us!

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are literally thousands of possibilities, most of which would be a waste of time recommending. What sort of things do you and your husband enjoy doing? Do you have a preferred direction? A preferred travel style? Would you rather see natural settings or big cities? Museums? You'll have to narrow your request down quite a bit for anybody to offer help that will be of use to you.

AZBuck

I didn't even think about that! We really love everything! What we like best is free or cheap things! I'm not too big into scary stuff or animatronics (I have automatonaphobia). We like to be occupied and not drive for too terribly long! We're pretty open to everything though which makes it hard to narrow it down! I don't even know what's out there to narrow down what direction we'd go! I think we'd like a little of everything though ya know?

Default then just go

Well if you don't have a preference of what you want to see, perhaps you should just get in the car and see where the road takes you. It certainly can be a great way to travel and explore in its own right, and if you can't identify what it is you are looking for, then perhaps what you are looking for will find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Well if you don't have a preference of what you want to see, perhaps you should just get in the car and see where the road takes you. It certainly can be a great way to travel and explore in its own right, and if you can't identify what it is you are looking for, then perhaps what you are looking for will find you.
    I guess I should have mentioned that I'm a planner. I'm not the kind that is super structured but I like to have a destination and some semblance of a schedule.

Default Alright how about this?!

Indiana to Hunstville Alabama and back or a trip to see some of the World's Largest stuff.

Default It Works If It Works For You

Indianapolis to Huntsville is about a day's drive, so certainly a leisurely drive down and back, with time to explore, would fit within your timeframe. It also offers some things beyond the kitschy. For example, you could tour Mammoth Cave on one leg, and the Great Smoky Mountains and Cumberland Gap on another. For the oddball, you could see the world's largest bat in Louisville, and then see the world's largest (vampire) bat a few blocks away at Caufield's.

AZBuck

Default Trip from Indiana to South Carolina

Hello! I'm looking to take a road trip from Indiana to Charleston, South Carolina in March and I'm looking for some neat places to stop along the way. What it really is is a road trip with a destination because we're only going to spend 2 days in Charleston. We'll have a tent so camping is possible but I'm not really too keen on bears being around! Any suggestions would be great! We have a week to travel!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 11-18-2009 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Please do not create new threads about the same trip

Bears aren't much of a practical issue in the east, so don't let that stop you from camping. I've been to the Great Smoky Mountains loads of times and have only seen bears three times. Bear-fears are overblown. Be sure to know the safety measures (especially those regarding the proper storage of food) and you'll be fine.

I have heard many wonderful things about Charleston (and Savannah) and am dying to go myself. Not a bad end point for a trip, I think. Definitely fit in a good amount of time in the mountains, as well, and take a look into Chattanooga. There's a lot more here than most people think, what with the riverfront, astounding scenery close to revitalized downtown, and various really neat attractions. Check out this possible route.

You really need a week to do the above route well, but if you can manage that, here's a way you could do it:
    Day 1 -- Drive down to Nashville, maybe spending part of the day at Mammoth Cave National Park.
    Day 2 -- Hop down to Chattanooga.
    Day 3 -- (Different from map given) Drive to Charleston.
    Day 4 -- Explore Charleston.
    Day 5 -- Leave in the morning for Great Smoky Mountains National Park
    Day 6 -- GSMNP
    DAy 7 -- Make your way home.

It's ambitious, but not undoable.