1. Default Thanksgiving Stamford CT to Raleigh NC

Hi all,

Interested in thoughts on the drive from Southern CT to Raleigh NC. My wife has to be Raleigh over the holiday for work, and I am going to go join her. As this is ll a bit last minute, flights are really expensive so as I can take a couple days holiday I was thinking of driving down to see her. Google tells me it's about 550 miles and will take 8-9 hours. I was wondering whether:

1) Anyone can confirm the time - and give me thoughts on where the traffic issues will be given it's the holiday, I never drove anywhere over Thanksgiving before... I would plan on leaving early On Wednesday 25th and coming back Monday 30th

2) Give me your thoughts on heading the longer route on I78/I81 to see the mountains. I thought it might be worth adding a couple hours on to get some nicer views? I hear the I95 can be quite boring all the way down (I have driven as far as DC before but not the section through Virginia.

Any other thoughts about places to see en route, or things to do within driving distance of Raleigh over a long weekend would be welcomed.

Thanks to you all for your help - this forum is great!

JC

Quote Originally Posted by JC40a View Post
    Hi all,
    Google tells me it's about 550 miles and will take 8-9 hours.

1) Anyone can confirm the time - and give me thoughts on where the traffic issues will be
    Google Maps, ever the optimist. That would normally be about 10-11 hours, given normal stops, etc. I would add to that time considering the Holiday weekend traffic.

2) Give me your thoughts on heading the longer route on I78/I81 to see the mountains.
    I-81 through Virginia will present you with some nice scenery of the mountains, with Jefferson National Forest to your West and Shenandoah National Park to the East.

Is the time factor going to be a major sticking point for your trip? I ask because if you take I-78 to I-81, it will take more time.

Default Traffic, Traffic, Traffic

Thanksgiving weekend is the most heavily traveled of the year, as everyone tries to join their family during a very short window of opportunity. This is particularly true in the BosWash corridor that you'll be traveling. You can only slightly ameliorate those conditions, not avoid them entirely. And although it is true that it is 550 miles from Stamford to Raleigh, it is only in the fantasy world of electrons on silicon chips that it can be driven in 8 hours. In the normal real world, that is a 10-11 hour drive. On Thanksgiving weekend it will be even longer. I think you would be well advised to use I-78/I-81/US-501/US-70. Although that route is 80 miles or so longer and is actually a fair bit longer than we would recommend for a single day's drive, and you won't have time to see anything en route, you at least have a chance of having a reasonably 'sane' drive.

AZBuck

4. Default Thanks - Maybe a flight is worth it!

Thanks both - you've injected a serious dose of reality into my plans and I've had another look at flights and found one out of White Plains for $350 - which when compared with probably $160 of gas plus some tolls makes the trade off seem worthwhile. The road trip will have to wait - we're off from Vegas to Denver over New Year so that'll have to do me.

Thanks again.

JC