1. Default California 1 vs. 101

So I'm planning to drive from Arcata to Los Angeles, was wondering if it's really worth it to take the 1. I've heard it's a crazy road to drive, and my vehicle is in pretty crappy shape lately. I am willing to take my time, I am interested in the scenic route, but won't there be beautiful things along the 101 as well? Thanks for any insight!

South of England.

Default Get the car checked first.

Hi, welcome back.

I'm not sure "Crazy" is the right word to describe route 1, it is a slow going windy road with great coastline scenery and rated as one of the best coastal drives in the world. It would be more crazy to turn down the opportunity to take it, so if you have the time, why not ?

Oh yeah, the car ! TBH, I wouldn't want to start a journey anywhere without first knowing that my car was in a safe and reliable condition, the safety side of things being of most importance, for your well being and that of other road users.

Only you can decide what will work best for you factoring in time constraints etc, but you will find a lot of info by searching the forum's for helping to decide. Of course you can always alternate between the two and drive to selected areas.

[I have moved your thread to Fall and winter road trips, is this when you are planning to travel ?
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 11-14-2009 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Added info

3. Default

Yep, was planning on leaving within the next week. Weather shouldn't be too bad along the coast and soon enough will be far enough south to take coats off! Just can't decided if the beauty will be worth the stress.
    What about beautiful places along the 101 instead?

Joplin MO

Apples and oranges. 1 is a coastal road, 101 is an inland highway.