1. Default Driving from Seattle to Virginia

Hello People,

I am planning to drive from Seattle, WA to Virginia next week. Can you please help me with the following things:

1. Is it advisable to drive at this time?
    2. I may not have any company.
    3. Which route will be the best and safest route to drive?
    4. What things should i take with me during the journey?
    5. What are the things to remember to manage myself best during the trip?
    6. The shortest route i got in google is - WA -> Montana -> North Dakota -> Minnesota -> Wisconsin -> Michigan -> Pennslvania. Please suggest if this route will be good to drive during this time. Will i experience snow in between.

Other than these, also please share your experiences which i can as well take care of.

Please suggest.

Thanks in Advance.
    Last edited by flopdix; 11-13-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Tucson, AZ

Default By the Numbers

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

1) Sure, why not? People drive cross country every day of the year. In the event of a storm or conditions you're uncomfortable with, just stop in the next town for however long it takes (at most a day or so) for the weather to pass and the road crews to do their job.

2) You'll have your radio and whatever other entertainment source your car has, so consider books-on-tape, or on disc or whatever you need. If you don't want to buy these and you can't borrow them from your local library, Cracker Barrel restaurants have a program where you can borrow them at one store and drop them off at another. As far as safety concerns go, there will be plenty of other solo drivers as well. Just don't push your self too far in a day so that you start to get drowsy or inattentive. Plan on stopping every few hours for some exercise and a mental health break, and covering no more than 500-550 miles in a day.

3) To some extent that depends on where you're going in Virginia. Assuming you're heading for somewhere in the DC to Richmond area, the preferred route would be I-90 to Chicago then I-80/I-76/I-70/I-270/(I-95). Interstates are well traveled, well maintained, and are built to specifications which limit the steepness and 'curviness' of the roads.

4) Whatever you need to drive around your own home. The only 'extras' I take on a RoadTrip are a good thermos for coffee and a good road atlas.

5) As already noted, don't exceed your own personal limits. Take breaks from driving whenever you feel the need, and don't try to do too much in a day. You should budget at least 5 or 6 days for the drive, more if you plan to do any real sight seeing.

6) Nobody knows. Keep an eye on the weather reports before you leave and don't drive when adverse conditions are the rule.